The Hargreeves Children

Maya Hargreeves sighed as she looked at her older brother, Andrew

"I'm sick of this, Andy. We don't have lives. Mom and dad are running us ragged with doing their dirty work for them, basically raising us as soldiers instead of their fucking kids."

"Yeah, I know. God forbid something goes wrong during a job." Andy started, looking towards the reason he fought so hard to come home from the war. "But what can we do? It's not like we can just run away."

Maya pursed her lips before a rare small smile appeared on her face. "What if we can?"

At this, Andy perked up. Sitting up on the makeshift bed the small caravan provided, he waited for his sister to continue. Throughout the years growing up, Andy watched as the once happy little girl who always had light and excitement in her eyes grew into a hardened woman. Years of being taught how to shoot, fight, pick pocket, curse people and animals, and take back alley bets made her into who she is now. Upon looking at her, anyone who didn't know her would think she was cold and heartless, hardly ever smiling and fighting people they were told to by their parents so roughly, it would put the toughest man in the world to shame. Seeing a smile form on her lips caught his attention quickly.

Andy was a hard man as well. Not only from the way they were raised, but also from the war. He came home a month ago and was slowly settling back in with the help of his baby sister. He was a lean man, covered in tattoos with a silver ring looping around the corner of his bottom lip, not having much muscle to show, he found other ways to be intimidating. Andy preferred to keep at least a semblance of innocence within his sister by doing the killing if the job called for it. He had seen enough death to last him a lifetime and he didn't want his sister exposed to it so long as he could control it. The way he looked at it, he only had one reason to live and that was Maya. 

As Maya stood up to reach under her bed against the opposite wall, Andy was snapped out of his thoughts as she pulled out a book. A look of confusion crossed his features until she opened it up showing the middle of the pages cut out and replaced with a big lump of cash.

"New York, Andy. We can finally go, just like we've always wanted. We can leave this place and be free." Maya told him with a wide smile on her red painted lips.

It took a moment for Andy to reply, not able to tear his eyes off of the stack of cash that lay in the book in front of him.

"Where did you get all of this?" He asked.

"By doing what we do best. Pick pocketing and selling whatever was valuable. So, what do you say?"

Andy peered up at her, a look of seriousness on his face. 

"We can go. But, if mom and dad need us for a serious job, you have to promise me we'll come back to help."

 Maya sighed through her nose as she thought about it for a moment, leaning her hands on the bed so she could lean back.

"Deal."