Chapter 3

"Come on, you can sleep in my room

"Come on, you can sleep in my room." Ada said to Maya, extending her hand to the girl to lead her. Maya smiled lightly as she took it and stood up.

"I'll go grab you some clothes so you don't have to face the she devil." Andy joked only receiving a small giggle and a nod in return.

Caleb smiled at the interaction between his children. He was proud that he had raised them to be close and to put each other before anyone and anything. He sighed before he spoke.

"Ada, can I talk to my daughter for a moment?"

Ada nodded, squeezing Maya's hand lightly before she exited the room to start some tea for them and her family.

Maya turned to face her father. She knew she wasn't going to receive any grief. He had always taken her side when she fought with her mother; the perks of being the baby of the family. Caleb pulled her off to the side, looking to the ground before looking at her.

"I'm sorry about your mother, Maya. I don't know why she treats you like she does, I'll try talking some sense into her tonight."

Maya, felt tears prickling her eyes.

"Why don't you just leave her, dad?"

Caleb smiled lightly before cupping her face gently. "I can't do that, sweetie. You've never experienced being in love. I made a vow to love her through everything, and even though it's hard to watch her do this to you, I have to at least try getting compassion for you through her head before  I do anything drastic."

Maya nodded. She knew how much her dad loved her mother and she felt guilty for being so selfish. In all honesty, she was aware they wouldn't have as much as they do if it wasn't for her mother. She was one of the most well known Gypsies in America, making lots of money for cursing objects, people or animals, or blessing them. Maya's grandmother taught Monica the tricks of the trade, teaching her to pick pocket and steal and the ins and outs of betting. It was because of Monica that Maya had as much street smarts as she did. She just didn't like the way Monica went about getting her to do things.

Caleb pulled Maya into his arms, hugging her tightly before kissing the side of her head. Pulling her back until she was arms length away, he gently held her forearms, smiling lightly. 

"I'm so proud of you, baby doll." 

Maya gave him a close lipped smile as he tilted his head toward the doors that led inside the Shelby household.

"Go on." He told her quietly.

Maya left to meet Ada in the kitchen, Tommy watching her the whole time. He was snapped out of his thoughts when Caleb stepped in front of him.

"Mr. Hargreeves." Tommy greeted with a nod of his head, straightening his back.

"Tommy." Caleb nodded back in greeting. "Listen, I'm coming to you with this job because as much as I like Arthur, he seems to still be taunted with the memories of war and he has to focus on fighting his demons before he does anything that involves him being close to Maya. So, I want you keep a sharp eye on my daughter, Thomas. I love Andrew, but Maya is my little girl, the only semblance of joy I have left as a man who has been dragged through hell. Take care of her, son."