Prologue

Several years after their escape, Zack and Ray had been skulking about. Going from City to city and trying to lay low in order to keep the cops off their tails. In those years of hiding and ducking authorities, the two had grown a much stronger bond than before. Making it harder for Zack to keep up his part of the promise.

I don't wanna be a liar... But... I also don't wanna lose her." The man gritted his teeth. Kicking an empty soda can across the floor of the abandoned warehouse they had claimed as home for a while. "This is fucking stupid!

He was left alone since Ray went out to do the shopping that rainy afternoon. Isaac sat on the worse-for-wear cushions of the couch they had snagged from a yard sale. He slouched. Trying his hardest to get comfortable. Tossing about. Not realizing it would be more comfortable, he kept his boots on. Curling up slightly.

Eventually he dozed off. Dreaming of that fateful day. The day he'd finally put and end to her life. But it was only a dream. Of course.

There was no way it would go down so easily. He knew that the dream had only dressed it up. Romanticized how it would really be for him.

"We're gonna be all smiles and shit while I slit her throat open...Yeah... Maybe in a movie. But there's no way in hell she'd thank me for slicing her to bits...Right? Could I do somethin like that? Before we got to know each other and she helped me out of that shitty place maybe but now... The thought of makes me... Ugh. I'm gonna hurl."

He hated himself for it, but the young man in bandages had grown fond of the dull eyed blonde. Even he couldn't get himself to admit it out loud. In complete and utter denial. He didn't see her as a little brat anymore. He saw her as something precious. Someone he wanted to protect. Give an arm and a leg for.

Give his life for.

Just like he nearly did back at the facility he was held. Where they had met so many years ago.

Zack soon woke from his dream. Feeling depressed again.

"Fuck... I have no choice, do I? I really have to kill Ray." The only one that ever treated him like a human being... Would soon be his next victim.

"I could just say "Fuck the promise" and ride off with her into the sunset or some shit but she'd hate me for it. Wait... Since when have I ever cared about shit like that?! Fuck! I'm so damn confused. I don't get it!" He wrestled with himself. Trying his hardest to rationalize it. "She has always been a creepy little shit. And her smile. Pfft. I've seen way better." He laughed nervously.

"Yeah, that's it! She still sucks at smiling. There's no way I could kill her yet. Not with such a piss poor excuse of an expression."

A glimpse of that "piss poor expression" came into his thoughts. Causing his attitude to change as his smile faded. In his head, it was the most beautiful smile he'd ever seen. It hadn't filled him with bloodlust but something else. Warmth? He couldn't quite define it. With his still limited vocabulary, he was unable to find a word that did it justice.

Then something unusual happened.

Tears.

Tears began to form in his eyes. Growling he wiped them away but the more he tried to wipe away, the more they came. Flowing out in a heavy stream.

He realized it. Despite his denial he couldn't fight the truth. He hated liars after all. And the truth was right there.

He didn't want to kill Rachel. Not anymore.