Desperate Times Call For...*Part 34*

In my office, in the dark, staring out at the lit-up city my decision had been made.

Lia was on the couch, asleep. Right where I left her. Barely making it thirty minutes into the movie before dozing off.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that on our way home, I spotted a couple of suspicious faces following us. Similar faces I'd once seen outside of the building. I couldn't confirm without asking her but I suspected they were Bathilda's men. It seemed they'd finally figured it out.

If Lia knew, she would panic and most likely disappear faster than I could assure her that this was not a problem.

Today's accident was my fault, and not connected to her mother. But it's enough of a reminder that this needed attention on a whole other level.

The line only rang twice before Matteo picked up.

"Ian, my boy. What you sent over this morning, I can't begin to tell you how invaluable it is." Matteo grinned over the phone. I could feel how pleased he was. I wish I could feel the same.

"I'm glad. Listen, that's not why I'm calling." I swallowed. I hated this part. "Something's happened. My friend, the one I told you about, she got attacked right before the holidays."

I waited for his answer in the stretched out silence.

"Is she alright?"

"She's alive. For now." I sighed. "You know how you said if I needed anything, to just say the word?"

"Yes."

"I want a tail on her." I tried to keep my breathing even.

"I see...I can arrange it, but not immediately, Son."

"Why not?"

"It would set off this plan prematurely. Tip-off the other side before we're ready. I don't need to tell you that every step is crucial."

"She needs it now. It's important."

"And she will get it, but not yet." I swallowed my frustration. "Be patient, Ian."

"You can't even send one person." I couldn't believe that the only thing I've asked for is being denied.

"My team is stretched thin as it is, Son. I would have to hire out and we both know that someone from the outside is a huge risk."

Fuck.

"Ian, be patient. We only need a few more key pieces before it won't matter what they find out. You're with her, she'll be okay. Stay close and it will be fine."

I hated this. It would not be fine. I couldn't just glue myself to her side. Not with the way shit's been like since the holiday. Lia's been pulling away too often for me to pull off bodyguard duties. Fuck.

"I think you're wrong. But it's your operation; your call."

"Ian, trust me. Please."

I did trust him. All my life I've trusted him. I just couldn't fight the gut feeling that this was the wrong call. There was no other choice.

"Fine. But the very second it can happen, please..."

"You have my word."

What else could I say? We had to keep it together for just a little while longer. I just hoped it wouldn't be too late.

I said my goodbyes and hung up. Staring at my dead screen for far longer than necessary.

It was far from the answer that I had wanted. That I needed. A different plan formed in my head. One that was ludicrous and a huge gamble.

But I was confident I could pull it off. Would it go as planned? Probably not. I might be sporting matching cuts to Short Stack. Something I'll have to explain to her and get reprimanded for.

It was a risk. But I was willing to take it. Right now, I was willing to do anything.