48) Crash and Burn

Mark held onto the edge of the door for dear life as his eyes trapped themselves onto the spinning world that was coming to meet them. Every part of his body was begging for him to find relief from the scorching heat around him, but he felt someone grab the fabric of his pants, frantically pressing the cloth to suffocate the fire.

Mark tried to crawl over to Jack, who was staring without seeing against the floor, but Joe grabbed his ankle to pull him back, "What are you doing?! Joe!"

"th'y're gone y' idiot!" Joes' eyes were strangled with panic as he pulled him in front of the door, "g't out! Dianne, come on--!"

"--NO! JOE--!" But he was shoved out of the door, tumbling across the earth right as the whole craft slammed into the ground. Mark ignored his pain, and locked his eyes on the machine as the rotors snapped from the roof, sending the whole craft to roll across the lush grasses, digging its own grave before laying on its side almost 50 meters ahead.

Mark felt like his body was frozen as he stared in horror at the sight.

Joe.

Dianne.

Dr Carriker.

Rafe.

Wade!

Jack!

He knew every one of them better than most, and now he could see their grave!

His chest was tight, and his scars were burning as he forced himself onto his hands and knees. Once his body flared again, it wouldn't stop, so he pushed through it! ignoring every instinct in his body, he launched towards the wreckage.

Every part of his brain was screaming for him to get away from the fire, but his limbs acted without thought. They had control! His boots kicked up the overturned earth around him as his hands dove for the elevated and dented landing skids.

He felt several small glass daggers slicing at his fingers, but he ignored it, pulling himself to flip back through the door, almost landing on a burning and unmoving corpse.

oh my god!

Mark was praying that they were alive, but the one that laid before him was certainly gone.

Joe Sugg.

his burning clothes slowly withered to black revealing the dark Kevlar plates underneath the fabric. His once pale skin was now covered in char and minor burns, but Mark felt his heart drop as he saw his eyes.

His wide and unseeing eyes.

At first Mark thought that the crash itself had caused some kind of damage to his brain, but this was quickly pushed away as he saw how Joes' neck was contorted.

His cervical vertebrae had been visibly shifted and it was completely and visibly disconnect.

"J-Joe," Mark shivered, feeling his eyes clouding at the sight, "Why?" He looked further to the back of the cabin seeing how the other nurse, Dianne, Dr Carriker, and Jack all laid motionlessly against the now destroyed metal of the wreckage, "Why did you do that?!"

There was no movement for several long seconds, and he dreaded to turn to the cockpit, seeing how Wade hung limp from his seat belt, several long lines of blood flowing around his skull to drip onto the first officer below him.

Everyone was still and for the first time in a long time, Mark felt a tear sit just under his left eyes before running the length of his cheek.

His right hand came up to wipe it away, but upon seeing his freshly glazed skin, he felt another fall.