11th of November, 1880

"The bells are ringing," I said sadly to my father. He didn't respond, his ivy green eyes glared at the platform. He was eagerly awaiting his prize. The noose hung limply, waiting tiredly for it next victim. My father, the town's trooper, took the last shot at Ned Kelly. Father is the reason we are here. If only my parents knew the truth. They wouldn't believe me anyway; I can admit I have lied before, but I wouldn't dare talk about Ned Kelly if it wasn't true...

"It's time!" I yelled. I jumped up from my bed and twirled around, my dress following me from behind. Once a week my mother sends me to the local shop with enough money to buy bread. I ran out of my room and to find Mother outside doing the washing.

"Mother," I called again. She came inside, the exertion painting her face red.

"Go get yourself something special," she said, her kindness showing in a tender tone as she handed me some coins out of her antique teapot. She gracefully shut the lid. She treasured that teapot and kept her money hidden in there in case uninvited guest turned up. Robberies were becoming a regular occurrences around town. I jumped up and gave her a hug. I ran outside and down the dusty road towards Euroa. Our house was about two miles away from the local shop. When I arrived, the smell of freshly baked bread filled the air and swirled around me. The smell lured me in, I felt like a mouse enchanted by the cheese. I bought a fresh loaf of bread. I took one last inhale then slowly walked out of the shop towards the small general that sold treats and milk. Entering the shop, I turned my head and saw a range of lollies. I bought one packet for my mother. This is perfect, she deserves these.I was having a great day, but it didn't last...

I left the shop and began the long walk home. When I reached Charles Lane, I stopped. Two roads ran out of town. My usual route, that would take me home or the other one. It's the quickest, I thought. I started walking down the other path. I heard my father's voice boom in my thoughts. "Don't go in there, Elizabeth, it's too dangerous." I looked down at mother's treats, they were already softening in their bag. She deserves these and I wouldn't let them melt. Thick scrub surrounded the path, blinding my view of Hudson Creek. The path became more narrow with every step I took. The trees covered the light leading me into darkness. My usual path was light and full of beautiful birds. When I was walking there I felt the warmth of the sun on my face. All of the sudden there was a clearing. I sighed in relief; I felt safe. The shivers down my spine slowly disappeared. Light filled the bush, I was almost home, I could feel it. I took a step forward when a man jumped in front of me.

"You!" he yelled. I froze as the rest of his gang had surround me. "Drop your valuables!" Motionless, I couldn't focus on anything other than the gun pointed at my head. I dropped the freshly baked and the treats from my paralysed fingertips onto the dirt covered path. He snatched them greedily with his filthy hands and demanded my valuables. But I had none to give, and no voice to explain. His mouth opened to speak and revealing disgusting teeth, yellow and broken. But before his words crept out of his mouth, something blocked the sun. I felt a shadow on me. I squinted, as the figure was towards the sun. I saw the dirty man reach down and grab his gun. I turned and faced the figure. I recognised the armour from the wanted sign in town. It was him...

The rest was a blur. I heard the sound of people clashing into each other. I could smell gun powder and blood. When the world stopped spinning, I watched Ned Kelly take off his helmet and wipe the sweat from his face, smearing the blood that dripped from his nose. He glanced back at me.

"You're safe now. Go home, child!" he said tiredly, sweating bullets. He got on his horse and rode away. That was the last I saw of Ned Kelly...

... Until now

The second bell brought me out of my day dream. The crowd is cheering so loudly I can't hear myself think properly. Ned must be about to come to his fate. I turned around and saw the Kelly family; their heartbreak etched into their faces. One girl my age looked at me with eyes full of tears, as though she was trying reach out and tell me something but then look away. I knew how she was feeling, it wasn't right. They shouldn't be cheering about his death. I squeezed my father's hand and looked at him regretfully. "There's something I need to tell you."