━ viii

He follows you into the shop so eagerly that, in the back of your mind, you think he'd hoped you'd pick this option.

Arthur takes a slip of paper out of his pocket, unfolds it, then holds it so that you can have a glimpse as well. It's a shopping list, it includes various items such as multiple kinds of canned food and basic medicine.

You and Arthur walk around the small shop, gathering whatever is needed, then return to the counter. As the clerk helps you two pack up all the supplies, he looks back and forth between you and Arthur, and a benevolent smile settles on his face.

"Quite the big family ya got." He remarks with a nod at the amount of groceries. "Must be quite jolly with all them folk runnin' around all day."

Arthur chuckles knowingly. "Most of the time."

"Say, ya got some kids back at home, by any chance?" You and Arthur share the same thought, looking at each-other, then at the cashier. You're the one to confirm it with a nod. The man beams at that. "Good, good! I had some folk come in the other day with this big ol' crate, full o' toys n' children'c clothes. Said they couldn't bear throwin' it all away, and that they don't know no-one that need them. If you wanna take a look at it, it's in the back o' the shop. Every article's jus' one dollar, you won't get that price anywhere else."

You glance at Arthur, he gives a shrug, then smiles encouragingly, as if he were saying 'Go on.'

You mosey towards the back of the shop and he follows, looking over your shoulder once you open the crate. There truly is a little bit of everything that a child could want. Toys, some wooden, some sewn, and an abundance of clothes.

Arthur's chest grazes your back when he reaches for a stuffed bunny made out of brown material. It stares at you with big, black button-eyes, and has a cute, pink nose made out of a bead.

You glance at Arthur, only to find him already looking at you for an opinion. You can't stifle a smile even if you try. "Cute. And it's just a dollar too."

He hums in response, then sighs. "Too bad his ear's missin'."

You frown and take a closer took at the toy. Arthur's right, only broken stitches remain in the spot where the bunny's left ear should have been.

"Let's look, it's gotta be in there somewhere. I can sew it back on if we find it."

You kneel beside the crate to be able to dig through it more efficiently, Arthur follows your example a few seconds later. You stumble across many clothes, especially for girls, which have no use to you, or more specifically, Isaac. You dig your way through the half of the crate you're searching, and to no avail.

You hope Arthur's being luckier, but judging by his expression, that's not the case.

The clerk comes in and lets you know that he's been kind enough to load your groceries into your carriage for you. Arthur's the first one to thank him.

With a disheartened sigh, you turn back towards the crate, and tug a small, blue dress out of your way, until your stomach flips at the feeling of the material under your fingertips.

The lace around the neck of it are oddly familiar, you reel in your hand like it's been burnt.

The small dress looks exactly like the one that belonged to your daughter—