Chapter IV

It was Day’s peak by the time Thalaben had begun his journey back to Labition. His headache had proven too much for the young elf to handle, so he decided to return home out of concern. Elves rarely had headaches, and if they did, it would most likely a symptom of a disease.

   The forest was still quiet, although a faint wind had begun to ruffle the tips of a few trees and some birds had already begun singing soft songs. It was a beautiful scene, however Thalaben didn’t care for it. His headache was his main concern, and focusing became increasing difficult for him.

   His feet tapped violently on the forest floor as he sped past trees and bushes. He didn’t want to slow down, not until he reached the city boundaries and asked for assistance.

   Another hundred metres of vegetation past by Thalaben like a blur, as he continued South. He finally arrived at a crossroads between two faded dirt paths, and halted to catch his breath.

   Dense vegetation swept across the pathways, making the original dirt that outlined the pathways almost invisible. The pathways ran perpendicular to each other, one leading to the north, the other leading to the east. Thalaben was about to continue on the eastern pathway, when something caught his ear.

   It was a quiet rustling, coming from further down the eastern pathway. Thalaben glanced down the pathway, but was unable to see anything as it curved behind a cluster of densely packed trees. The rustling continued towards Thalaben.

   Acting on instinct, Thalaben quietly bolted to a nearby bush and hid behind it. His headache had dissipated to a minor throb and adrenaline overtook his veins.

   A few minutes passed by and soon a figure dressed entirely in black, walked stiffly by Thalaben and his hiding place. A hood covered the stranger’s face and hair, though a long strand of blonde hair managed to escape the hood’s confines.

   As the stranger walked by, the strong scent of lilac and jasmine vexed the air. Thalaben, who had already equipped his bow, relaxed his posture as he recognised the distinctive perfume.

   “Halt!” Thalaben ordered in the most rigid voice he could muster. The stranger froze.

   A smile crept up on Thalaben’s lips. “What brings you here, Vivi?”

   The stranger turned to face Thalaben and lowered her hood. A young female human with striking blonde hair and pale blue eyes emerged from the concealment of the hood. Her eyes were glistening with anger as she saw Thalaben.

   “You shouldn’t do that. I almost had a heart attack.” She said, her eyes easing to a state of relief.

   “You’re one to talk, sneaking through the woods like an assassin.”

   “Don’t forget, I am one.” She replied. The right corner of her mouth lifted slightly to form half a smirk.

   “I hope you’re not here to kill me.” Thalaben meant for the statement to be a joke, however he wasn’t entirely sure of Vivi’s response and the legitimacy of it.

   “Don’t be ridiculous, Thalaben. I could never hurt you.” She answered, with what seemed to be a truthful conscious. Her eyes briskly regard his, and then fell to his right arm, noticing the visible gash. “What happened to you?”

   “I fell.” Thalaben said, taking a look at the wound himself. It had stopped bleeding and was now taking on a darker shade of red.

   “May I take a look at it?” Vivi asked.

   Thalaben nodded. “If you’d like.”

   Vivi stepped closer and clasped Thalaben’s arm in her soft fingers. “My, you injured it pretty bad.” She said, her eyes flicking up and down as she examined the length of the wound. Her soft touch comforted Thalaben’s arm and lessened the pain.

   “I know. Anything serious?”

   Vivi rose her eyebrow in thought. “Doesn’t seem to be anything more than a shallow cut. You should get it properly treated before it gets infected.”

   “I appreciate the advice.” Thalaben replied, retracting his arm from her grasp. He had the sudden urge to distance himself from her, though he couldn’t explain why. “What are you doing here anyways?”

   “I came to see you.”

   “You followed me didn’t you?”

   Vivi shrugged. “I tried to, but I quickly lost your trail. You’re a really difficult one to follow.”

   “I try to keep it that way. So what do you need to see me for?”

   Vivi hesitated. Her bottom lip began to quiver a tad, something Thalaben had noticed she did whenever she was nervous.

   “The guild wants to see you.” Her plump red lips barely parted as she spoke the words. Thalaben regarded her silently for a few moment, not sure how to reply. His head and stomach were swarming with emotion.

   “What for?”

   “An assignment. They didn’t specify on the details, but they did say they are willing to pay.”

   “And if I refuse?” Thalaben asked reluctantly.

   “You don’t have a choice. You know how the guild works.” Her words were full of empathy, and Thalaben could tell she was dreading being the messenger of such unpleasant news.

   “I cut all my links with the guild years ago. They have no right to do this!” Thalaben stated with a bold tone.

   Vivi immediately lowered her head the moment she sensed Thalaben’s anger. It was unclear to Thalaben whether it was out of fear or embarrassment, thought he knew his reaction had gone too far.

   Thalaben took a deep breath and managed calm his anger. “When do they want to see me?”

   “Immediately.” Vivi answered, raising her gaze up to Thalaben’s shoes.

   Avoiding the guild would mean certain danger, and confronting them wasn’t something Thalaben was very fond of. He knew the guild was desperate if they needed his help and there was a high likelihood that a deal for his freedom could be reached.

   So there was only one option Thalaben had: confront his largest fear.