Chapter #3

"Snow. Snow! Earth to Snow. Where have you gone in there?" Baz calls, knocking on my forehead.

"Ow! What's the idea?"

"We've been trying to talk to you and you've been a million miles away. Wake up, Snow! We need your help, as infuriating as that is to admit. Have you packed up our food yet?" he yells, two inches from my face. I have to stop myself from staring at his lips, and I fear that I'm doing a terrible job at it. I let my eyes drift up to his eyes, and notice that he's staring at my lips. Penny's giving me a knowing look accompanied by a vicious smirk.

"Yeah. It's in the backpack. All of the food that we had in the bedroom," I say, stepping back from him. I don't know what I would do if I stayed there, like that, in front of him.

"Let's go then. Penny's got whatever junk she decided to bring for no apparent reason, you've got some food, and I've got enough clothes for all three of us. I've got a car out in front of Watford. We can get away with that. Onward!" Baz declares, making himself sound incredibly posh.

"Well then, take us to your car, Basilton. Simon gets shotgun," Penny says, winking at the both of us. This girl is nothing if not conspicuous.

"Penny, don't you want to sit in the front seat to be able to observe our surroundings easily?" I question, implying loads with ever saying it. I seriously hope she got the message.

"No, I'm sure you'd prefer to sit up there next to Baz wouldn't you? I don't mind riding in the back." I'm seriously going to kill this girl the second Baz isn't around.

I slide into the front seat beside Baz, and he gives me a quizzical look. Of course Penny had to give him a massive hint. Aleister Crowley, I want to kill her sometimes. No, that's a lie. I want to kill her all the time.

"What was she on about? the pair of you have been acting off, and I don't like it," he confronts.

"Honestly, it's beyond me. Now drive before someone catches us!" I shout in a desperate and pathetic attempt to change the subject. We do need to get going though.

"You're not getting me off you back that easily. That it pains me to admit it, you're right; we need to get driving. Where to, Chosen One?"

"See if I know. And don't call me that," I sigh, fed up with his strange name-calling game that he's been playing with me since first year. At the same time, I'm glad for the attention.

"Bunce, way in. And what would you prefer?" he asks, turning to face me. "God almighty? My savior? Ruler of us all?" Baz taunts.

"I say get away from Watford as fast as humanly possible. It's almost dawn, and we'll get in a fat lot of trouble if we're caught trying to leave. We're on thin ice as it is," Penny pipes in.

Baz punches it, blasting some random punk-rock that can hardly be called music. I groan and switch off the audio. Baz looks over at me and rolls his eyes. Knowing that it annoys him to no end, I shrug at him. Now it's him who's groaning.

"More driving, less flirting," Penny calls.

"We weren't flirting. We weren't even talking, for Crowley's sake!" I say to Penny. Baz sinks a little in his seat and continues driving without a word.

"I pass the long hours staring out the window and hoping that no one has come after us -- mage or monster. We have no means of defending ourselves properly. Let me rephrase that: I have no means of properly defending myself. My magic is volatile and unpredictable at best, and the only useful thing I can accomplish with it is going off. Of course, Penny and Baz can hold their own. Some Chosen One I am.

"You're doing it again, Snow," Baz softly tells me, the normal edge to his voice nowhere to be found.

"Oh, sorry, I have a habit of zoning out. What were you trying to get into my thick head?""

"No, it isn't that. You're thinking things that aren't true and letting yourself believe them. I can see by the look on your face." He actually sounds caring. "Plus, you aren't shoving scones into your mouth or babbling, which means something's up. Remember what I told you on the grass. I meant it," Baz reassures. 

"What was that, Basilton?" Penny chirps from behind us.

"Bunce, I'm going to teach you a phrase that the Normals use."

"What is it?" Penny questions curiously.

Errupting into giggles, I would've fallen out of my seat if it weren't for the safety belt. Baz just out-smarted Penny. No one does that. Not even for a moment. Penny is outright speechless -- not something you see every day. At least it shut her up about my secret. I swear, that girl never knows when to stop. I spin around and stick my tongue out at her, and she pokes me in the face.

Baz switches on another variety of angry music on and looks at me with a question written on his face. All I give in response is a half-hearted shrug. I suppose we could use something to break the silence. This wouldn't be my first choice by far, but I can tolerate it. I think.

A/N: Hey guys! I'm updating! Holy hell! I know, I've been really lazy. I'm going to try to update this more frequently for the few of you who are reading this. Please comment, because reading your guys' comments make my day. More is coming!
-Unfortunate Seven (XOXO)