Sun Cream

"Hey, mom, would you mind putting some sun cream on my back?' Melody asked. She and her family are on holiday in Italy, and today they'd go to the beach.

Her mother glanced at her before she lit up a cigarette. "No, go ask your sister. I am having a cup of coffee, can you not see?"

She blinked and looked at the table her mother sat on, seeing a cup of coffee in front of her. They have a huge tent where they could sleep. Melody's sister and herself slept on one side, her parents on the other side. There's a small bureau in the middle of the tent where they put their plates and cups on.

"Why do you need to put sun cream on?' Her tanned father asked. "It is 28° C degrees. That's nothing?'

"No, dad, I need to put sun cream on. I don't have your genes, I will get a sunburn, and that is no good. Did you know that you could get cancer from getting sunburned? I mean, not immediately but-" Melody started explaining to her dad.

"Melody, enough with the story. Let us have some peace," her mother interrupted, causing Melody to be slightly annoyed.

"But I just want to explain to father-"

"I don't think that is necessary. Your father is a wise man. Please save it," she said as she took a deep inhalation of that filthy cigarette, that- Melody might add- is bad for your lungs.

She has seen real lungs once. They compared the healthy lungs to lungs that belonged to a smoker, and holy shit, that was shocking. The lungs were almost completely black due to all the stuff people inhale from a cigarette. Melody found it trash, and expensive as well.

"Did you know cigarettes are bad for your lungs, mother?"

"Yes, darling, I know. Please mind your own business, and make sure you never smoke."

She nodded, satisfied with that answer and walked inside. "Hey, Sara. Would you mind putting some sun cream on my back?" Friendly, she asked her sister.

Sara, her sister, is two years older but doesn't look like her at all. Where Melody has quite the curvy body type, Lisa has barely any curves. The difference wasn't only in their body type. Lisa had long, blonde hair while Melody has a short, dark brown colored bob. They both have hazel eyes, but Melody believed that their eyes are the only thing they have in common.

Lisa shrugged. "Perhaps, what's in it for me?"

Breathing in and out, Melody remained calm. Apparently, it was hard to help one another out in this family.

"A very kind smile?"

"Nah, not interested in that. What about mom? Didn't she want to help you out?" Lisa was laying on their bed, texting her friends and glanced at Melody every now and then.

"No, she is too busy smoking and drinking her cup of coffee.'

"Oh, well, that sucks. What about dad? I am a bit busy, too. Jayden broke up with Rocky; I need to be there for her."

Melody nodded and groaned while she turned around.

"Wow, mind you?" Her sister responded to her groan. "If you are in tears, I need to be there for you, too. Are you annoyed that I am trying to be a good friend?"

"Maybe," she shrugged, knowing that Sara was right. She walked out and towards her father. "Dad, could you maybe help me out?'

"No, you ladies always have some creams. I won't be a part of it."

"Seriously? Just because you don't need sun cream, you don't want to help me out?"

"That is correct, baby."

"You are all unbelievable. I cannot believe this," Melody said annoyed and walked away towards the main road of the camping.

"Sorry, can you-" I started, but the person I spoke to shook his head.

Mumbling, she said, 'alright... next try."

"Hi! May I-"

"Hello! Could you maybe -"

She groaned loudly and threw the sun cream on the ground.

"Ouch!" One yelled, and she frowned as she looked up. There stood a girl around her age, holding her foot.

"You hit my foot, why are you even throwing sun cream around?"

Melody bit her lip. "I am so sorry. I was frustrated. No one could help me out. I need sun cream on my back, or else I will be sunburned."

The girl nodded. "Well, why didn't you say so? No need to throw sun cream. Come on, I'll help you out."

*****************************************