Chapter 1

*Edwards POV*

Funny thing how death is, grips you in a chilling lock relenting to let go as you struggle to escape, wide eyed in terror the inner moment when you realize that you aren't ready to die. Terrified of what to come.

My death wasn't far off that mark anyways. My head was cleared of thoughts and focused only on my immediate surroundings as they declared the area clear. How wrong they were, my fellow comrades and I crept silently on the deserted streets our armed hands clutched our weapons in a death grip.

The streets were deserted, it was almost eerie everywhere was silent except for the unmistakable crunch of boots on granite. It was unnerving not hearing the noisy chatter of Londoners going about their daily business.

The women dressed in corsets and bonnets chatting amongst themselves, the men in their waistcoats and briefcases walking briskly on their way to different places.

The unmistakable smell of dust and perfumes and odors that perfumed the air. Instead the streets were barren with only a few wrappers littered around, the shops closed, houses deserted. I feared for my little family of two back home.

At least I could see them when I take my leave after this mission. I could see my beautiful Maryanne again, my sweet Marie that cried when I was called to serve my country. That took care of our little bundle of joy, Amelia.

I remembered how we made sweet love on the night of my leave how I held her whispering comforting words to her as she wept silently and I breathed in her lilac flavored scent.

The morning I left her with eyes filled with unshed tears but she stayed strong for me as I kissed both her and my baby wrapped up in her arms her blonde curls framing her heart shaped face, wide blue eyes watching me with such innocence I almost came undone.

"Come back to me," she whispered before I took off. Those few words have lent me comfort during the past few days of cold nights and lesser portions of food to eat.

I would come back to her I promised both of us. I held out my three fingers as I stared at the small group of men remaining from our once large group.

Andrew, the fair head boy who looked little over eighteen nodded his head.

The rest of the team in their uniforms, pistols held in hand nodded too as I counted down my leg against the rotting door of the warehouse. at the count of one I kicked open the door and our team rushed in with a loud battle cry.

I knew it was already too late when I heard the sound of gunshots. I would have lied if I had said I didn't try to escape; but we were surrounded all over by the tall russet colored men who had opened fire on us.

Sounds of bullets released clanged in the air as cries of the wounded fell to the ground and the few who tried to open fire. I looked around for an exit but it was too dark.

I already heard the sound of the bullet before it sailed through the air and went square through my chest.

Only one though ran in my head as my mouth filled with blood and my shirt started to turn crimson.

I had led my team right to the enemies lair.

My heart went out to my wife and my wee baby as I could already see the darkness closing on me and the faint thud of my body hitting the floor.

The agonized cries and victorious shouts seemed like they were from a mile away as I battled away the darkness that threatened to cloud my vision. Desperately trying to fight to regain my humanity.

I could feel someone shaking me and through my limited vision I saw it was Mathew my only childhood friend who I had shared so many memories with.

He knew my family and had one too. I was glad he was unharmed.

"No no no no! Ed! Eddy! stay with me! hang on!" he shouted in hysterics as he tried to clot the blood with his shirt but he already knew it was a lost cause.

"Do tell Marie how much I love her,"I said in between wheezes, coughing and spluttering thick viscous fluid as I could only suck in limited oxygen. My throat ached and felt constricted, I could only guess I was drowning in my own pool of blood.

"Take care of them please," I told him before the darkness claimed me and I died.