IMAGINE ♔ eijirou kirishima

'INSECURE'
kirishima eijirou x fem!reader
1,067 words

The sound of my knuckles tapping against his wooden door echoed throughout the quiet hallway. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, waiting to see if he'd answer. Most of the class sat in the common room, talking amongst themselves. I had been too, earlier, engaged in a conversation with Hagakure and Mina, when I noticed Kirishima acting oddly.

He had walked in the open room with Kaminari, being his usual happy-go, smiley self when they walked past the huge mirror that hung on the wall behind the lounging couch. I noticed that his demeanor seemed to change, his body stiff and eyes wide. He quickly excused himself from the group with a forced smile then made a quick exit towards his room.

Being the nice and caring friend I am–and because I may have slight feelings for the red head–I took it upon myself to see if he was alright. Which is how I ended up here, awkwardly standing at his door waiting for him to answer, or at least say something.

I knocked again, thinking that maybe he didn't hear me the first time. "Kirishima?" Or maybe he was just ignoring me, not wanting to be bothered. I sighed, "Kiri? Is something wrong?" I bit my bottom lip, thinking of the right words to say. "You looked... off earlier. I just wanna make sure you're okay."

I could hear some rustling behind the door, then a loud bang and click—a door closing. Must've just been in the bathroom. "Uh," Eijirou's voice sounded gruff, a hint of nervousness in it. "Yeah, I'm fine [Y/N/N]."

"...you don't sound okay."

There was a loud huff from his side, then the door clicked as he unlocked it and began pulling it open, but after an inch he stopped. A scarlet eye showed between the crack of the door. "If I show you something, promise not to tell anyone else in class?"

I nodded my head, "Of course."

Kirishima opened the door the rest of the way, holding it with one arm and side stepping to let me in. His eyes were focused on the floor and a pink tint sat on his cheeks. Confused from his behavior, I entered the room and gave him a small smile to show that whatever was wrong, I was here to help. He shut the door and made his way back to the bathroom, gesturing for me to follow. I obliged.

I watched as his eyes flickered to me and then down to the counter top of the sink. A white jar sat on it, the lid popped open, and red goo lied inside. That's when I noticed the red on his fingers; and his hair. It was wet and flopped down, almost meeting his eyebrows and covering his forehead. It was the first time I had seen his hair not up and spiked—and was that a hint of brown or black close to his roots?

I try to look in his eyes but he's still looking down to the tiled floor. "You dye your hair red? So, what color is it actually?"

"...Black, and this is what it really looks like. All floppy like this." He grabbed a piece of his hair and flopped it up and down, then let it go and put his arm behind his neck to nervously scratch it. "Not very manly is it?" A frown etched on his face.

"Wh- no! Kiri, I like it!" I gave him a smile, reaching out to grab a strand of his hair.

"Huh?" His eyes finally glance up at me, his face contorted in confusion.

"Yeah! I think it's cute."

He frowns again, "Cute isn't manly. And red looks much more manly and strong than black."

I give him a puzzled look, "Eijirou, you don't have to look a certain way to be manly. It doesn't matter what color your hair is or the way it's styled. Your personality and the way you act is what makes you who you wanna be. You can look cute and be manly at the same time!" I give him a toothy grin, letting go of the strand of hair I had been playing with of his.

"I-" Kirishima stopped mid-sentence, at a loss for words. No one had ever told him something so nice and encouraging at the same time. He had always been so insecure of himself. When he was younger, he thought his appearance made him look weak and unmanly; and his quirk used to make him feel useless, albeit even a danger to others and himself (after inflicting an injury on himself and causing a scar to form). So he decided to change himself, dying his hair red and spiking it up, going to the gym and working out more to buff himself up, and even sharpening his teeth.

I took a step closer to him, "As long as you want, I won't tell anyone. But I'm positive no one will see you any different if you change your hairstyle back to what you had it before. But, if you feel comfortable and more like yourself with it this way, then keep it red and spiky. Either way, you'll still be manly." I looked down as a blush began to form on my cheeks now. "And uh, cute." I said more quietly, but enough that he could still hear me.

Looking through lidded eyes, mine meet his red ones. The room felt heavy and I could hear the sound of my heart beat. Without unlocking eyes, his hand found mine and entangled our fingers together. A closed mouth smile made its way on his face, "Thank you, [Y/N]. No one's ever said something like that to me. It was... nice."

Making a bold move, I reached up and planted a small peck on his cheek, then undid our hands and left his room with a half smile and half smirk.

Kirishima's face turned as red as his hair as he watched her leave the room, and his hand reached up and touched where the girl had kissed his cheek. He grinned and looked back down at the red dye that sat beside to his toothbrush.