Chapter Twenty

Author's note: this chapter's song is "Texas Tornado" by Tracy Lawrence. It really doesn't have much to do with this chapter because it's just a filler chapter but I threw it in here because it's a good song. I'll link it above.

Adeline had been back in camp for several days now. She was welcomed back warmly by Mary-Beth, Tilly, Karen, Abigail, Sadie, and Miss Grimshaw. Javier, Charles, Kieran, and John were all happy to see her back too. She had specifically avoided Arthur and Dutch for the past few days she'd been back. She wanted to see that what they did was a horrible thing and she would not so easily welcome them back. Luckily for her, Arthur was out of camp running errands for Dutch most of the time.

Today, John, Arthur, Javier, and Sean had left camp to work on a train robbery that John had found out about. Adeline was glad to not have the awkward air about her and Arthur. They had left early that morning and nobody was sure when they'd be back. A small portion of Adeline was jealous. She wanted to go out like the men on a fun adventure but she was stuck in camp doing chores for Miss Grimshaw. It wasn't that she minded doing her share, she just wished her share was more fun and exciting. By the time the sun was setting below the horizon, Adeline had finished all of her chores and was reading a book Hosea had lent her. Since she returned, Hosea had been one of her closest allies. He was agreeable and easy to talk to. He even offered her as many books as she could ever want to read- from his own personal collection. She chose to read "Utopia" by Thomas More. It was a book way ahead of its time. Written in the 1600's, it was all about these people living on an island creating a perfect society. She sat down at one of the tables next to a lamp and began reading.

Before she knew it, it was dark and nearing midnight. Adeline looked up from the book and blinked her eyes to clear her vision. Hosea approached her and took a seat next to her. "How are you liking it?" Hosea asked.

She was shocked he was still up. She gave him a warm smile, "I love it. I cannot believe how relevant it is, even today." She turned to a page she had marked. "When More says, 'For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them.' It is just so relateable to this gang and every other outlaw that exists."

Hosea nodded his head. "If our society thought like Thomas More did, then I'm sure most of us wouldn't be outlaws right now."

"It is so insightful." Adeline sighed and looked at the book. "It's been ages since I've been to a library. I'm sure there aren't any around here."

"I believe there was one in Blackwater but, as I'm sure you know, we can't go back there. But you're not wanted there. I'm sure Mary-Beth would be more than happy to go with you."

"Maybe I'll ask her to sometime." Adeline said. The thumping of hooves in the dry dirt interrupted their conversation. Adeline and Hosea looked up to see Marston, Javier, and Sean all riding into camp. But where was Arthur? He had left with them. Adeline felt her stomach drop and the gunslinger's absence but then chastised herself for thinking so fondly of the man who used her.

She didn't have to wonder where Arthur was anymore because he came riding into camp shortly behind the others. They all dismounted their horses and Marston and Arthur went over to Dutch's tent. Hosea stood to leave. "I should go see how that job of their went. Tell me when you've finished the book." He said.

Adeline nodded and continued reading, moving the oil lamp closer to her book. The seat Hosea was once sitting in was filled again by a cheeky red-haired man. She looked up to see Sean sitting next to her. Adeline liked Sean so far. He was very intrusive but he meant well and he sure was funny. "Hey, Sean," she said.