ch. 1 ✧ the end

To Eleven and the rest of the party's surprise, Max and Lucas had broken up for real.

Apparently, the two had been in a massive argument, leaving Max extremely angry, but whenever El tried to ask what they'd been arguing about, Max would change the subject or just groan that it didn't matter.

"No, El! We will most definitely not get back together this time," Max assured when El asked if it wasn't just another one of her and Lucas' smaller disagreements.

"Didn't you say that last time too?" El skeptically raised an eyebrow.
Max and Lucas had been on many 'breaks' before, but every time they'd gotten back together in a matter of a few weeks. Max had come to El every time - they were best friends after all, and would always share their problems, as well as advice, with each other.

"No I didn't," Max mumbled, looking down at her lap, her red hair falling in front of her face.
The two girls were sitting on Max' bed - it was two days after the breakup. Max' previous breakups had usually had her shed a tear, but this time she was just filled with rage.
"We're over! You don't understand..."

"No I don't, cause you don't wanna tell me," Eleven threw her hands to the sides, "I've asked you what the argument was about, but you won't tell me."

Max fiddled her fingers nervously, and El immediately knew the redhead was hiding something.
"I doesn't matter what it was about."

"If you don't tell me what happened then I'm obviously not gonna understand how this is different from last time you broke up," El laid down on the bed, followed by Max laying down beside her.

Max sighed deeply, not replying, and El told herself to let go of the topic. Best friends were there to cheer each other up, El decided. She turned her face to look at her friend laying next to her.
"Forget it. Forget him. You wanna go shopping?"

Max turned her head, her beautiful red hair covering half of her face. She hesitated for a few seconds, before smiling for the first time in two days.
"Yeah. Sure."

✧ ✧ ✧

The two girls biked their way to the mall on Max yellow bicycle. El had never owned a bike, but she was used to sit on the luggage carrier of Max'.
The first few times El had been extremely scared to fall off, but she trusted Max, and Max would always let the brunette girl hug her torso as they drove down the busy roads.

The StarCourt Mall had many opportunities - shopping, eating, dancing, watching movies - therefore you could never get tired of going there.
Max used to love the arcade, but she had tried every game and held all the high scores there by now.

They hopped off the bike, which they parked next to the entrance, and headed into the mall.
It was a Sunday afternoon in the summer, and the girls were clearly not the only ones thinking to go shopping that day.
The mall was filled, nearly to the limit, with people of all ages - though especially teenagers around their age.

As the girls walked past the mall's movie theater, El got the idea to watch a movie to get her best friend to cheer up.
"You wanna watch a movie?" El nudged Max' arm lightly.

Max turned around, quickly glancing at the movie posters hanging in front of the theater entrance. Immediately noticing the poster for A Room with a View, the redhead's expression went hesitant.

El could easily read her. They hadn't been friends for more than a year, yet they knew each other better than anyone.
El could sense how Max wasn't comfortable with watching a romance movie right know.
The brunette pointed to another poster, one she had never seen or heard of before. It read The Breakfast Club.
"What about that one? It's playing in an hour."

Max' gaze followed the direction of El's hand, landing on the poster of the unknown movie.
She thought about it for a moment, before finally giving El a slow nod.
"Alright," Max' uncomfortable face turned into a smirk, "if you buy me popcorn."

El rolled her eyes with grin.
"Sure. But we have an hour of wait. You wanna find a new pair of shoes or something?"

Max nodded again, her red hair waving around her face, as El reached out her hand. The girl didn't hesitate to take it and let El lead her around the mall.

✧ ✧ ✧

a/n
hi, thanks for reading:)
i might delete this if it flops, or when i decide to continue 'and her red hair', but idk.
hope you enjoyed for now<3