ch. 2 ✧ the truth

After El and Max had spent almost three hours at the Star Court mall, the two decided to head home.

Max took her bike out of the rack and walked it beside Eleven. They didn't get onto it right away, since they were each holding an ice cream they'd just bought at Scoop's.

The two girls walked in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before El spoke:
"Not to bring back the bad spirit, but I'm sorry about you and Lucas," El sent Max a small smile, "I hope you're feeling better now."

Max returned her smile.
"It's fine. He was an asshole, I don't feel bad for him nor myself," she breathed out, her smile slowly fading.

El sighed before saying that one thing she'd already told Max several times that day.
"I understand you really don't wanna talk about what happened between you two, but... you can tell me anything, you know?"

Max didn't reply. She finished the ice cream in the cone, offering El the empty waffle. When El shook her head, politely gesturing 'No thank you,' Max shrugged and threw the leftovers in a bush.

They proceeded to walk in silence, before Max finally broke it.
"So... He was mad at me because..."
She stopped.

El widened her eyes, surprised that Max finally opened up to her.
"Yeah?"

"He was mad because..." the redhead ran a frustrated hand through her hair, the other hand still gripping the handlebars.
"Look, I didn't tell you right away, cause the reason he was mad at me was... because of you."

The brunette turned her head towards the other girl, giving her a skeptical look.
"What?" she chuckled confused, "I don't..."

"Long story short, he was annoyed with me for always being with you, and accused me for being a lesbian," Max let out, straight forward.

El's jaw fell open, gaping at Max not knowing what to say.
"W-what?"

"I guess he's just jealous that we're hanging out more that him and I did," Max shrugged, "I don't think he actually thinks I like girls.

"Oh," El simply mumbled, processing what she had just been told - speechless.

Max nodded slowly as she stopped walking and went onto the bike.
"Hop on."

El did so, and when she was settled Max started pedaling.
As the two girls went fast down the roads through Hawkins, El carefully held around her friend's torso. She breathed out, proceeding to take in the news.

It always relaxed her going on bike rides with Max. She loved watching the landscape go by them, as she hugged Max's body, resting her head on the other girl's back.
Yet she couldn't stop thinking about one question she, for some reason, wanted to ask Max so badly: Do you actually like girls?

El didn't know why she felt the need to ask her that, since she already knew the answer: No, obviously.
Max had been with Lucas for more than two years, plus with some guy back in California when she was younger.
She liked guys, without a doubt.

Why did El care anyway, though?
She tried to let the thought go and just let her and Max enjoy the ride.

✧ ✧ ✧

When the girls arrived by Max' house, Max stopped her bike in front of the driveway, letting the other girl off.
It was 5pm by that time, and El should probably head home soon - Hopper didn't like El being out too late on Sundays.

El got off, and just as she was about to explain that she had to go home, Max started talking.
"I... I could give you a ride home if you want?"

The brunette's smile widened as she nodded.
"That would be nice. Thanks."

Max grinned back, gesturing for Eleven to hop back on.
Max knew El didn't like walking home through the woods all by herself, and Max didn't mind spending a little extra time with her best friend.

It was difficult riding through the forest, since there were no path directly to Hopper's cabin. But Max had done it multiple times by now, and was getting pretty stable biking across rocks and sticks.

The redhead slowed down the bike as they slowly approached the wood house.
She stopped in front of the porch, and El quickly dismounted the luggage carrier.
Max got off herself and carelessly threw the bicycle onto the ground.

El was standing at the first step of the porch stairs when she turned around to face her friend, standing in front of her on the ground.
"See you tomorrow," Max smiled softly.

"Yeah," El put a strand of her nearly shoulder length hair behind her ear, "see you tomorrow."

Max sighed, hesitating before going:
"I had a nice day today, thanks for cheering me up... we should do that more often, y'know..."

"Of course," El giggled, answering both statements at once.
"I should probably get inside before Hopper starts to worry. I promised him to be home early... for you know, 'father-daughter-sunday'," El said, almost sounding apologetic.

"Yeah, I know," Max nodded understanding, "see you, goodbye!"

Max waved as she turned around, picked up her bike, and started pedaling out of the forest.

El stayed at the porch, looking after her redheaded friend, until she could barely see her anymore.

a/n
this probably has a lot of typos, since i only proofread about half of it, but i'm literally so tired i can't even keep my eyes open.
i might finish editing it in the morning(: