A Very Special Christmas

"No, we are not getting one!" I yell again. I know he can hear me from the other side of the wall.
"But why not?!"He yells back. I am so lucky all the neighbours are gone for the holidays. We have been going at each other for an hour or two. Mike kept showing pictures of dogs and I did not look interested enough.
"Because is said so a million times!" Mike slams the door. He storms inside the room. It is really hard no to laugh. He looks like a five year old who wants cookies. He is standing there still in his pyjamas. Like a child on Christmas morning. All that is missing are the bunny slippers.
"You are just angry because I refuse to be happy." He can't even sound mad. His performance of today was cancelled, forcing him to spend Christmas with me. It did not make he happy, not at all.
"I am mad because you never told me you always had a shitty Christmas." That was actually true. I was indeed mad after Mike told me he never had a good Christmas because of the 'orphan thing'. His words not mine. It was a shock to me. He never told me why he always worked on Christmas. Now that I knew, I was mad.
But i couldn't stay mad at him, specially not in those Christmas trousers. And not even with the face i was going to expect any time soon. At the right time my phone buzzed on the table.
"Please tell me someone is coming over." Mike said. He sounded really upset. It was probably Jess. Telling me she was almost at the door. She always texted.
"Why don't you check for yourself." I did not care for privacy of phones and even Jess knew that. We always talked in codes Mike never understood. I did not expect her to send anything else. Mike walked to my phone. His eyes focused on the screen for a good full minute.
"Why is Jess texting 'we are almost there'? Who is we? Is she dating that guy?" Mike was suddenly asking a lot of questions. Jess was indeed seeing that guy, but he was not the one coming. I knew who was coming.
"I guess. I'll open the door." I did not wait for a protest, but Mike followed me.

We both opened the door, only to be attacked. Jess was hugging me first and soon after Mike was falling victim to her hug attack. He looked at her strangely. His eyes were focused on the big bulge on her stomach.
"Jess i know we barely see you, but this wasn't there weeks ago." He mentioned staring at her. He finally understood the 'we', or so he thought.
"Can i show him y/n, please? This thing is fighting me." Jess was already unzipping her jacket. There was no way to explain Mike his face when the little dog head popped up. Mike immediately pulled the dog out of Jess her jacket.
"Oh my god when did you get one?" He smiled. For a second i forgot everything. All i could see was Mike hugging the tiny dog. I noticed something new.
"Jess did you really spend twenty bucks on that sweater too?" I sighed. The small sweater was cute, i had to admit that. But it was a little over the top. Jess just shrugged and smiled. Mike was getting a special treatment by the tiny dog.
"Look how cute." Jess said smiling.
"See even she thinks we should get one." Mike said while holding his head high so the dog would stop with the special treatment.
"Mike, we are not getting another dog." Mike was suddenly surprised at my words. He put the dog down on the floor.
"What?" He asked.
"So what are you guys going to name it?" Jess asked, walking to the living room and disappearing.
"Are you serious?" Mike whispered. The look on his face was worth all the yelling this morning.
"Now you get why i am against your idea of a dog." I smiled.
"Because you already got me one," He rolled with his eyes while smiling. "This explains so much." He smiled, picking up the dog again.
"Happy Christmas?" I dared asked.
"It is. It really is." He had the biggest smile on his face. He looked even cuter this way.
"Merry Christmas. I have to leave. I have my own gifts to open." Jess was out of the door before we could thank her. Mike didn't even notice. His eyes were still focused on the dog.
"Let's watch a movie." Mike suddenly burst out. Like he just remembered something important. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the living room. He made us stop in the doorway.
"Thank you for the amazing gift." He kissed me on the cheek. I couldn't lie, this made me nervous all the time. It felt genuine. Like a gift on itself.
"Look up." He whispered. A little piece of green.
"Mistletoe," I must have looked as surprised as Mike was minutes ago. "They are always sold out." I whispered to myself.
"That's right, i know how long you wanted to relive our first kiss." He remembered.
"Party at Jess her place under the mistletoe." We both said at the same time. It was one of the first Christmas parties he could go to. A night i would never forget. I lifted myself on the tip of my toes. It took Mike a second to lean forward. Just like then. When our lips finally touched, it was like the first time. That magical Christmas feeling returned. Our lips moved in a magical way. The special way only we knew. My cheek was getting wet. Not with tears, but with small kisses. From the dog. We both pulled away to laugh.
"Looks like i have to share you now."