Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Look, Red, I don't want to have to do this, but wouldn't it be a shame if the feds found out about your immigration status? Going out with me would be so much easier."

That's how I ended up straightening my hair on a Friday night. I put on some make up and slipped on some jeans and a sweater. How did he expect me to enjoy myself if everything he had me do was through blackmail? Maybe I wasn't supposed to enjoy myself. Maybe it was all for his pleasure.

Wouldn't have surprised me.

At seven sharp, there was a knock on my door. I slipped on my flats with shaky hands and opened the door.

I don't know why I expected him to be in a uniform, because I had seen him in casual clothing before, but I was shocked to see him in tight black skinny jeans and a black button up shirt standing in my doorway. He smiled at me.

"Hiya Red. Can I come in?" He leaned down and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I flinched back a little, but he pretended not to notice.

"I'm all ready." I told him, not wanting to invite him into my home. He hummed in surprise.

"You're the first girl I've taken out who's been on time." I didn't know what that comment implied. Was he trying to say that he took out a lot of girls? Or was he trying to say that I should've taken longer to get ready? Did I not look ok?

He attempted to take my hand in his as we were leaving, but I pretended to be busy looking for my phone in my purse, even though I could see it sitting in one of the side pockets. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea because it was actually the last place I wanted to be- on a date with him.

"Where are you going?" I heard Caleb's amused voice call to me. I hadn't even realized he had stopped walking until he yelled to me. I turned around to find him standing next to an expensive looking car. He had the passenger door open for me expectantly. I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment and I awkwardly shuffled back over to him.

He offered me a hand to help me slide into the car, but I pretended not to see it. He slammed the car door loudly to show he wasn't happy with my rejection, for the second time in less than five minutes I ignored his chivalrous attempts.

I held my breath as I watched him make his way around the hood of the car. When he got in, he turned the car on in our awkward silence. The Rolling Stones started to play from the radio and he pulled away from the curb aggressively.

"I'm taking you out, can you at least pretend like I'm not pulling your teeth, please?" He snarled without looking at me, keeping his eyes on the road. I gulped nervously and looked out the window.

"Are you going to deport me if I don't?" I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" He snapped.

"Nothing." I was quick to diffuse the situation. I didn't know if he had heard me or if he was truly asking me what I had said, but the issue was dropped after that. We pulled up in front of a cute restaurant that looked borderline expensive. I wasn't planning on spending too much money that night, but I had my credit card with me just in case.

I got out of the car and shut my door just as he was coming around. He looked at me with an unhappy, almost scolding expression, as if I had just done something wrong. If I had done something, I didn't know what it was, so I pretended not to notice him. I walked ahead of him to the restaurant and opened the door for myself. Caleb caught the door behind me with a sour puss on his face.

I had done something else wrong. If he didn't tell me what I was doing to piss him off, how could I change my behavior to please him?

"Reservation for Scott." Caleb spoke to the hostess once we came in. She nodded quickly and skimmed down the list.