Chapter 23

The summer was closing in and though the weather was still foul, the people of Torino was in high spirit. The elections will be held this summer for a new mayor. The old one,

Domenico Coggiola, is from the Italian Communist Party. The PCI was once outlaw during he and joined the Partisans to free Italy from its fascist rule because of this they had grown to one of the most popular parties in Italy since second world war.

But communists are not popular with our neighbours and as such we have secluded ourselves from other countries. Something another party, Christian Democracy, thought was absolutely necessary for the growth of Italy. Their candidate, Amedeo Peyron, wanted a stronger relationship with France and wanted to create a railway from Torino to France.

The tense and excitement filled the air as people could sense the incoming change. It wasn't just the humans but also the Ascendants who looked at the current election. Alessandro told me that The Sovereignty put a lot of resources into making sure that the Italian Communist Party candidate was elected as they did not want a closer bond with France. If a railway is opened up to France then the Anarchists could easily sneak into Torino without their knowledge. The Anarchy had a similar idea, with the railway they could conquer Torino and get a foothold into Italy.

We of the I Soli stayed out of human affairs though, there was a reason why we were called the Hermits by some of the clans and a had few interests in the politics of Torino at the moment. I was troubled by far more worldy dilemmas.

I played with my two rowdy children in the living room. Each time I let them go, they came back covered with dirt while giggling at their mischief. They enjoyed when I bathed and covered them in warm towels. I surely had to have the patience of a saint to withstand such troublemakers but they brought me joy when my heart was in turmoil.

I sat down on the couch with a sigh. Alba stayed by my side, never releasing me from her attention. She was a keen one and noticed my fatigued so she often took care of me while rubbing her body against mine to give me warmth and comfort. Not that is always worked as she often dropped the trays of food she brought to me and cried miserably when I had to clean it up.

Tramonto, on the other hand, was too excited by the rain to notice. He often ran out to jump it the pool of water and came in dripping wet. The other Daemons often reprimanded him but nothing seems to face the little spider boy while he ran around the house like he owned it. I didn't have the heart to scold him and merely said not to be a bother for the others.

He almost tripped Alessandro over as he rushed out of the room when he heard the sound of thunder. It was his first thunderstorm and he was thrilled to see lightning flash over the sky. I had convinced him to watch it from the windows instead of outside since it was dangerous. He had merely nodded eagerly and rush out.

"Don't run, you might get yourself hurt."

I heard Carlo's voice as he rushed after Tramonto. Alessandro cocked an eyebrow at the direction of Carlo's voice," it might have a greater effect if he said it while not running around himself."

"He is one of the few people who seem to have the energy to run after little Tramonto," I chuckled as I remember the sight of him running worryingly after the little spider boy who was far faster than him. Tramonto had fatigued everyone in the house who had tried to keep pace with him.

"I think it's more stubbornness. I certainly won't run around like a headless chicken," Alessandro mused and sat down beside me. He caressed Alba's hair when she crawled over to him and snuggled up in his arms. "Have you been taking good care of your mother?"

Alba nodded eagerly and giggled happily when Alessandro said, good girl, and kissed her cheek. If Tramonto was the apple of Carlo's eye then Alba was Alessandro's. I could only sigh at them spoiling my children like they were their grandchildren.