ᵀᵂᴼ

Mark sat in his bed, staring intensely at the clock across his room, ticking away slowly, almost as if it was purposely teasing Mark. All Mark wanted was for time to finally turn to midnight, and the soulmate name to appear onto his wrist. The time switched between minutes, and Mark kept his eyes on the clock, not allowing his muscles to rest. He had heard that the pain someone feels whilst getting their soulmate mark was worse than being stabbed by a hot knife. He didn't know how people found out what the difference between those two were, but didn't question it. Instead, kept stressing out because his pain tolerance was horrible.

Just then, the minutes clock hit 12 and pain erupted in Mark's wrist. He let out a cry, and his parents, who were across the hallway in their own room, covered their ears, knowing that anything they did to help him wouldn't be useful, so they decided to let him try his best to get through it. Mark cried out again, clutching onto his wrist and collapsing onto his bed, shutting his eyes in pain. He felt his blood rush to the area affected, and a burning sensation passed through it. Mark looked down and saw black ink carve into his skin, terrifyingly slowly. It slipped in and out through the cracks in Mark's skin, forming small letters, which Mark was unable to focus on.

Tears rolled down Marks cheeks and a blurry layer covered his vision, blinding him for a few moments. Mark soon realised that the screeching noise he could hear in the background was in fact him. He brought his shaky hands up, covering his mouth in attempt to muffle himself. A few seconds later, his phone screen lit up and a familiar voice echoed in his room. Mark followed Haechans voice and realised that his phone was ringing. He quickly moved towards it, groaning as he felt more pain because of the movement, before accepting the call and dropping onto the floor, somehow managing to trap the phone between his ear and the floor.

"Mark?" Haechans voice filled Mark's ear, and he felt a weird soothing feeling wash over him, but it disappeared as fast as it came, and caused him to let out a small whine. "Hey hey hey, you okay?"

"No!" Mark said as he wept, unable to dry his tears. "I feel pain. Just everywhere. It's so bad. I- I can't feel my- my- what- what's the thing under the ar- my wrist!"

Mark stuttered on his words, the agony flooding his mind and making him forget about normal things. He ducked forwards, realising that the name was half way done. Mark brought his wrist to his eyes, mouth twitching up into a weak smile as he read the name.

"Shh Mark, you'll be okay." Haechan whispered, and Mark continued to smile, turning to lay on his back and stare at the ceiling. The pain in his wrist stayed the same, but Mark could only think about what he had just seen.

Lee.

That could be anyone. But it could also be Haechan. The possibility that it was Haechan had only just increased largely, and Mark couldn't help but feel happy by it. Haechan, who was still on the call with him, suddenly called out his name, a little worried since Mark had suddenly gone quiet.

"Hey sorry." Mark mumbled, picking the phone up and putting it on speaker before dropping it back to the ground, since he was too weak to hold it up. "I feel so tired right now..."

The pain spread from the wrist and travelled up Mark's body, making his head dizzy and legs shake disorderly. Consciousness was slowly slipping away from Mark, but he tried his best to keep listening to Haechan, who was trying to tell Mark stories or things they did together. It ended up working, as Haechan described the time they first kissed, both red and completely embarrassed, tangled in their bed sheets. Mark felt his cheeks heat up, and he was sure it wasn't because of the soulmate mark.

He gasped as he felt a ghostly grip on his wrist, and then sharp needle like sensations shot into his skin, making him squirm beneath the imaginary touch. Haechan heard him, and quickly started asking him if he was okay, as nothing else came to his mind.

"I'm fine." Mark breathed, head falling back as the pain decreased rapidly, and his eyes wandered through the damp marks on his ceiling. "I'm...fine."

Haechan's faint breathing could be heard through the call, but then it stopped, and Mark guessed he realised he was breathing a little heavily. He was most probably scared.

"What does it say?" Haechan murmured, making Mark's heart clench by the tone. He took a deep breath, recovering from the pain and then sat up, looking down at his arm, which was covered by his other one. Mark gulped before removing his hand. As his hand brushed down the bit of skin that was burning only a few minutes ago, Mark felt his heart shatter and a sob let out his mouth. He hurried to end the call and then cupped his face with his hands.

Mark pulled his knees to his chest and took deep breaths, trying to understand what had just happened. After those few minutes of suffering, and after talking to his boyfriend about it, Mark had seen this disappointment. Mark wiped his tears and bit his lip, staring at his phone, which was still on and projected light, and he could barely make out the picture of Haechan.

"Who the fuck," Mark started, piercing his nails into his palm and feeling tears start stinging his already red eyes. He knew that in the morning, everyone was going to ask him about his soulmate, and then ask him about his puffy eyes, but he honestly couldn't care less right now. "Is Lee Donghyuck."