Chapter 7 - Hello Again

Riley avoided the rest of her past as she visited Josh at the crack of dawn. They did not talk about her encounters with Lucas but she could feel that he wanted her to tell him as well. She knew that Farkle would tell and Riley was beginning to let him do it. She could leave and would not have to deal with the consequences.

"What's on your mind squirt?" Josh asked as he leaned up in the bed.

His face was paler than it was yesterday and bruises appeared on his arm. Riley leaned in the chair she had shoved into the corner of the room right behind the door and sighed.

"Farkle ... he knows about Izzy, and he wants me to tell Maya and Lucas but Maya first, and that stupid dinner is tomorrow" Riley said as she leaned forward.

"That's good and I agree," Josh said as the nurse walked in with a tray of food.

"Josh how are you this morning, I got your favorite, bland scrambled eggs, pale sausage and over-processed juice with carton pieces," She mused as Josh smirked.

"Julia ... you are after my heart this is an amazing meal," Josh joked as she placed the tray onto his table and pulled it close to him.

She pulled out two red jello cups and handed one to Josh and the other to Riley.

"Oh thank you," Riley said as Julia checked Josh's fluids and then his chest.

"Maybe I should-" Riley was cut off by Julia's hand.

"Darling I am just checking his vitals and he is in perfect health," Julia said as Josh tilted his head with a smile.

"Just a little cancer," Josh said as Julia chuckled.

She ruffled his hair and patted his arm before she walked out the door. Riley uncomfortable with the talk shifted in her seat. She knew it was his way of dealing with things but it did not sit well in her stomach. She wanted to wish away the pain for him, or suffer through the pain. Josh did not deserve it and she felt she needed the punishment for lying.

"Riles its how I make it through, they don't give me those sympathetic looks you guys do, they understand me," Josh said as he opened the jello cup.

"Its morbid Josh ... I mean you might make it and-"

"Riley it's fine ... I am not going to and I have accepted it," Josh said as Riley began again as the door swung open.

Riley was expecting to see Julia back with more hidden treats but instead met with long wild blonde hair Maya. Riley knew that Maya could barely see her especially since the door perfectly hid her until it closed.

"Josh!" Maya said as she did not see Riley in the chair. Instead, she trotted over to Josh's side with a wrapped package and a brown paper bag.

"Maya-" Josh began.

"No worries I saw Julia and she already told me she checked you out. I just wanted to check in on you before I went to work and show you the piece I made for you" Maya said as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Riley could barely breathe and knew once Maya saw her it would be a problem. Riley shrunk into the chair as Josh turned to her. Maya followed his gaze and the soft smile dropped and replaced with fury in her blue eyes. She glared at Riley and stood to her feet before sharply turning to Josh.

"Sorry I did not know you had company," Maya snapped as Josh sighed.

"Riles likes to come in the morning ... she wants to start the day with me," Josh said as Maya rolled her eyes.