Rabbit Hole Memories

Weeks Later...

Sonia had always assumed that her fury was pointed, like a dagger that struck with precision and pain. She had saved her family from poverty with that dagger years ago, and now used it to build the Discussion Group's knowledge. Except that it had become abruptly dull and clumsy, not because of any fault of her own, of course, but because magicians surrounded and stifled her like a plague.

The castle halls were infested with the filthy creatures, each one sneering at her in turn as they crossed paths. The kindest ones merely glanced over her like they would a passing dog. The cruelest flicked her with their flowing cloaks or the back of their hand. It should have been fine. Sonia had mentally prepared herself before making her journey; she had told herself that the magicians would treat her like the scum of the earth and studied the map Brackson had drawn for weeks. But it wasn't fine. Her hands clenched in fists and she finally understood how Chess could cut crescents into her palms with her nails. Sonia's fury had direction, but with magicians around every corner, that direction was everywhere.

"Are you lost?" A soft voice interrupted the blood boiling in Sonia's ears. She turned and saw a man in servant's clothing, his arms tucked politely behind his back and his neck curved in a permanent bow.

She knew the castle halls like the back of her hand, in the two-dimensional format of Brackson's map at least. Still, Brackson's map didn't include the location of the Guard. Sonia forced a smile and attempted to soften the growl in her voice. "Somewhat. I'm supposed to deliver a message to the King's Guard, but I'm not sure where he is."

The man chuckled, "Oh, that's a tough one. He disappears every now and then, but if he is here, he's with the King. You'll find him in the throne room at this time of day." He rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, as if the unnatural curve caused him pain.

Sonia forced her fists to pinch her skirt into a curtsy. She doubted the servant received respect from anyone else in the castle, so it was the least she could do. "Thank you, sir."

His wobbly smile made her want to smack someone, but instead she scowled and forced her feet forward. The throne room was one of the more difficult rooms to reach, despite its importance. The architect had clearly thought it through, as they had made the most important room the most difficult for enemies to raid. Sonia, however, had dressed like a servant. Nobody would stop her. She could probably get close enough to kill the King when she found him, but that wasn't why she was there. Assassinations never helped the commoners, anyway. Not when the replacement was just as bad as the original.

"Why the glare, girl?" A hand latched onto her shoulder like a claw, forcing her to stop.

Sonia glanced up and froze. The magician had blood-red eyes and a robe to match, and when her hand began to boil like fire on Sonia's shoulder, Sonia understood why. She was a fire magician.

"I – my boyfriend broke up with me." Her voice sounded high and weak, even worse than the servant man's meek tone. She didn't like boys, but it was the only excuse she could think of that wouldn't get her in greater trouble. The heat on her shoulder began to subside.

The magician's red eyes squinted as she smiled. "It's better off that way. Your lot shouldn't be breeding, anyway. The kingdom doesn't need more commoners."

Sonia barely kept her expression neutral. "Right. Of course. And I can't work when I'm pregnant."

The burning hand released her shoulder and clapped her on the back. "You get it. You're smarter than most of the weaklings who work here. Just remember to keep a happy face. Nobody likes the sight of an angry servant."