Marble Lions in the Fireplace Can Get Anxiety Too

The fireplace in Siles' chambers didn't look much like August's. White marble framed the exterior like a blocky picture frame, stained black with smoke and chipped from the room's past tenants. The servants hadn't cleaned it in years, so without the fire it looked like a window to the night, even as daylight crept through the adjacent window. In August's chambers, the fireplace wore a green marble frame. Siles had spent enough time sitting in front of it to notice that its carvings told a story, as the little marble lion grew up and faced the monsters that plagued him, even as they grew with him.

But Siles' fireplace told no such story, unless the smoke-stained whiteness represented a holy kingdom's descent into sin. Siles stared at the stains, trying in vain to see shapes within their darkness. He had fallen asleep in front of the fire upon his return to the castle. The fire had since gone cold, but the sweet smell of burnt cedar still perfumed the air. He didn't want to get up, even as his back began to ache from the unforgiving stone floor.

He turned his gaze to the ceiling. Its cracks and crevices provided just as much entertainment as the smoke stains had. He had no idea how long he had been asleep. He didn't know whether the soldiers in Amery had truly realized who he was. He didn't know whether Sonia and her followers would cause more trouble. He knew nothing.

Except Siles did know, he just didn't want to. He had been asleep too long, and should have dragged himself off the floor hours ago. He would know whether the soldiers had recognized him as soon as he spoke to the magicians. And Sonia and her followers would certainly cause more trouble, because she was a hard headed brat. None of the answers were the ones he wanted to hear.

They were all his own fault. He had chosen to run away from his problems, and now he had to reap the consequences. He could only hope that his misadventure had given August the time to return to normal. Or close to normal. Or at least friendly. The thought of August hating him somehow terrified Siles more than the thought of August loving him.

He didn't want to think about it.

Siles dragged himself to his feet, pausing to look out the window. Snow had returned to the castle grounds just when he had thought spring had come to stay. Everything was becoming worse. He was beginning to miss the Queen. He had hated her, but at least she hadn't made him question his own sanity.

Siles washed up and got dressed. The more he waited, the more anxious he would become. He would have to face August eventually.

He checked August's quarters first, but no guards stood outside the door. Siles took that as a good sign; August had to have gotten over the rejection somewhat if he had finally left his room. He checked the throne room next, strolling into the room just as August moved towards the opposite door.

"Is there a Council meeting today?" Siles asked. He waved August's day guards away, taking their place by August's side.

August kept walking. "Yes."

Siles glanced sideways at August, but his expression was stoic. The sorrow must have turned to anger while he was away. Siles understood. He hadn't given August a polite rejection; he hadn't given him an answer at all. Or maybe it wasn't anger. August's expression was unreadable; he could be holding back tears. Siles didn't know which was worse; all he knew was that he was to blame. He found himself mirroring August, each of them staring straight ahead.

They reached the room just as the Councilmembers reached their seats. The new head of the Council watched Siles cautiously as he entered. She was a weather magician, which normally would have prevented her from moving up the ranks. Weather magicians dealt in crops and fancy restaurants, not politics. However, Amanda happened to be capable of conjuring lightning wherever and whenever she wished, generating sparks of static electricity to intimidate her foes. She hadn't been one of August's picks, but unfortunately, only senior Councilmembers could lead the Council.