Stalemate

I brushed the hair back from my eyes and stormed out of room, leaving the bystanders in a commotion, making my way to the prison cells where they had the man held. When I turned around the corner they had already started the interrogation of the young man. I could hear several gasps and cries as the man was hit repeatedly. I looked at the man up and down, his hands were tied behind his back as he knelt before the guards. He was tall and well built, but with his head nearly touching the ground, I could tell he was on his last leg of strength and endurance. His hair was partially tied up and the rest hung loosely down his shoulder. He had on a hanfu that was as stunning as the other men at the social. As I looked at him, it didn't seem right. The man seemed to be more better built than that of the one who fired the arrow. If that was the case... who was the actual culprit and why did this man run?

The man cried out again releasing me from the thoughts I was drowned in.

"Stop! Leave at once! I will take care of this myself," I said fiercely. The guards looked at each other in shock and bowed before walking away.

The young man finally looked up. He had a split lip and bruising around his jaw had started. His light brown almond shaped eyes were full of sadness and pain. I outstretched my hand towards his face and he winced. I paused and he opened his eyes. I touched the blood that was streaked across his lip and wiped it gently.

"Tell me... I know you weren't the one who fired the arrow, but you ran, why? Do you know who was the actual one who fired the shot? What is your name?" The young man finally regained his strength and sat up.

"My name is Kata... my name is Katsuro... I ran because I was nervous, I enjoyed your performance. I wanted to praise you afterwards for your job well done, but once I met your gaze I became nervous because you were so stunning".

I tried to ignore the compliment.

"Then why did the guards find you as the culprit and not the other man?"

"When I took off, I went to the garden to have a moment to myself and the guards found me there. They said the princess was attacked and that I was being charged with attempted murder. I guess the culprit and I ran out of the room about the same time, but it wasn't me".

I looked at him and nodded cautiously. I couldn't help, but doubt this man I had just met.

"I'll keep you alive for now. I won't let them kill you." I said as I started to make my way back to the social that was still going.

"Wait!" He cried out, "You're trying to find who did it correct? You're trying to find who is going under your nose? I can find that person for you".

I paused and pursed my lips touching them lightly with my finger. I couldn't trust any person who was in the room at the time, at least he had left before the incident.
The only way to get upstairs was from the main floor and making your way up the stairs. The windows were too small for any person, let alone a man to fit through. That means whoever fired the shot was already at the party. Could someone have been hired... that too was a possibility.

"If you become my eyes and ears I will allow you to live. During the day you will stay here and listen to the rumors the guards spread. I'll make sure to give them extra wine as a gift to help them talk. At night you will visit my chambers and tell me the information you know. If you even try to escape I will have a very fine price on your head that many of my own military leaders will not be able to refuse. Do I make myself clear"?

Katsuro nodded and remained silent as I walked away.

I walked back into the room where the gathering was. Everyone stood there in silence upon my entrance. I looked at many men and woman in the eye, pausing in the center of the room.

"I will make it known that I will not back down from those who try to inflict harm upon me! I will not be mocked!"

I turned and stared the empress and Emperor Hitoshi dead in the eyes last after I had gazed around the room waiting for anyone to speak.

"For those who try to make a mockery of the crown... you have been warned. May the social continue," I said as I made my way towards the stairs to the second story.
Throughout the night, I compared every man to that of the man who was in prison. As I had looked across the dance floor another man had caught my eye. It was the son of Emperor Hitoshi. I thought about his stature. For a moment I thought... where was he when the incident occurred?

There was a young woman at his side holding his arm beaming as she leaned against him. Perhaps he left because of her. Many are coming and going out of this room... I need more time to think.

"Honorable guest! I ask that you stay for three more days! Let's have three more days of merry in honor and remembrance of the great Emperor Chou Wu!" I said without even thinking.

"In honor and remembrance of Emperor Chou Wu!" The guest repeated.

I smiled and bowed towards our guest. I looked back at the empress who shook her head in disproval. It didn't matter what she was thinking. There was power in numbers and right now I had the upper hand of the guest and they were in favor of me. Please continue this game... I will be steps ahead of you... I looked at the empress and smiled devilishly.