I Love You

"What", I asked as my eyes grew wider, "Katsuro"?

"Kill you when you annoy me to death as you always do".

I slapped Katsuro right in the face, "don't you ever scare me like that again"!

"What do you mean"?

I mocked Katsuro's voice, "I'm the only one who can kill her, you said that right after you killed someone! Would that not freak you out?!"

"Ohhh I'm so sorry. Ya sorry I didn't think that one through, my apologies".

He tossed the blade to the ground and ran to my side.

"Euh-meh are you okay"?

I nodded, but the truth was- I didn't know if I was okay. I didn't want to see someone lose their life in front of me, so how could I possible lead an army to victory?

"Well princess I located the cart and everything with it is still secure and ready to go. How about we get you to the battle field on time before your empire thinks something bad happened to their precious princess".

I nodded and got into the cart as Katsuro led the ox. It was nice to have time alone. I could hear my own voice in my head and even my breathing pattern. I curled up tightly into a ball and waited. Waiting until I would arrive at the battlefield where I would lead many to both victory and to the grave. The cart rocked back and forth with the road, but I could only imagine the rock of pallbearers carrying me to my final resting place, that is if I fall on the battlefield.

A sharp voice cut into my thoughts.

"Euh-meh, we have arrived".

Opening the door, I heard the blood curdling screams of dying soldiers, being carried to the infirmary. I saw a man cradling his arm that was beyond recognition. I felt a lump grow in my throat from both the rancid scent of iron and the gory sight.

"It's okay... I'm right here," I felt the light touch of Katsuro come right behind me, hugging me to his chest.

Turning around and pushing him away, I huffed. I was fine, I had to be.

....................................

Looking across the quiet battlefield, I waited for the signal to be given. Men were neatly filed on my left and right. Rows upon rows standing with me, I saw subdued terror in their eyes. The vice general , who was many rows down from me nodded and raised his arm. Leaning his arm forward towards the enemy, I pointed my swords blade in the air crying out, "For our Emperor and our land"! I mounted hastily on my horse as the rows of men ran forward. Archers kneeled in the back ready to take out the enemies first line of defense.

There was a loud war cry, followed by many others voices. As we continued to run forward with full speed, the enemy rose from their hidden valley and appeared over the hill.

Sweat accumulated on my hand, making the grip on my sword falter. The archers released their fiery arrows, sending a shower on the enemy. Many men fell and I was hoping and praying it would be a short battle. As more and more men from the other side rose from the hill I realized that we may be outnumbered.

Fire erupted and caused the enemies horses to retreat as their masters were thrown off. Men that stood behind the large beasts, were thrown to the side or trampled on.
Katsuro... I'm not fine... please save me...

...........................

Everything was in ruins. There was nothing left. There was no happiness or joy. Misery and death drenched the air. The clouds were dark grey and blocked every trickle of light provided by the sun. I patted my horses neck and wiped the blood from off my face. I led the men that remained back to the camping grounds. The war would continue on for the next few days. No one was even near victory. I held my head low and rested it on the neck of the horse. She walked slowly towards the tents and would limp every once in a while. I could tell she was hurting as much as I was. As I looked at my horse up and down, I could see her scars, cuts, and caked mud.

Off in the distance I could see someone standing there waiting for me. I mounted off my horse and walked her over to the person. When I looked closer I saw that it was Katsuro. He stood there with a saddened look. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly burying my face into his chest. I looked up and into his eyes, I could see how shocked he was.

He lifted the helmet off my head and tossed it to the side as he saw the teardrops form in my eyes. He held the back of my head and stroked my hair, hugging me to his chest as I started to cry.

"I don't want to be here," I sobbed, "please, I don't want to stay here another day...".

There were no other words that could be said that day. At dinner I sat on the ground inside my tent burying my head in my hands. I heard the flaps open and felt the arms of Katsuro wrap around me as he held me close.

He lifted my chin and kissed me slowly.

"I promise you'll be okay... in this moment you may not be, but I know you are strong... I love you Eu-meh".