i.

"Charles reads minds like he reads books

"Charles reads minds like he reads books. I simply try to decipher the book's cover."

VALERIE HAD NEVER liked needles all that much. But in order to get her job done, she was forced to work with them.

The main reason she didn't prefer working with needles was because she did not have the best history with small, sharp-pointed objects. Mainly because of some unpleasant memories she carried from her past. But hey, it needed to be done and so, here she was doing it.

A pretty average day is what had ultimately led up to that point. A strange man laying on the medical table that her friend Ororo had brought in along with a younger mutant. She was asked to heal any injuries caused and take a blood sample.

Just an ordinary day at work.

Except for maybe the fact that Valerie was more so used to scraped knees and the occasional broken arm from students being reckless. But dealing with bawling children didn't stop her then, so this situation sure as hell wasn't going to stop her now.

The strange man on her medical table was currently shirtless, I'll be it was for the purpose of her looking for any injuries but that didn't stop her from staring a bit before deciding it was rude of her considering the man was unconscious.

But she threw on her stark white labcoat anyway and grabbed the needle she would require to draw blood. She scanned him for injuries, remarkably finding none that she could see. And what was remarkable about it was the fact that Ororo had specifically mentioned that this man had flown through the front window of his truck (for being idiotic enough to not wear his seatbelt), had been on the butt end of a gas explosion, and had gotten into a fight with one of Magneto's henchmen.

But despite all that, not a single injury was present. None new or old or in between. 

None.

Valerie shrugged it off, telling herself that either God was looking out for him, or was trying relentlessly to kill the bastard.

But regardless, she walked around the table so she was standing on his right, intending to draw blood from his right arm.

She walked over, but before inserting the needle, had a momentary thought. She glanced around, checking to make sure no one had been watching her without her knowledge. When she knew for sure that the coast was clear, she returned her stare before ultimately coming to a decision. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. She could feel every emotion that was going through his head and the ones that were the strongest and most prevalent throughout his life.

The main one she got was confusion. Confusion as to who he was. She couldn't access too many memories attached, him either having locked them away or forgotten them. And she was willing to guess it was the latter.

Being an empath had never been easy for Valerie. She had always wished she could have ended up a telepath like the professor. Thoughts were so straightforward. Emotions were more complicated than that. And it didn't help that sometimes the people she reads feel emotions that they don't understand. It was all so complex that it often hurt her brain to even fathom the complexity of human emotions. But that didn't stop her from trying.