The Cursed Necklace

The inhabitants of the Beatles’ House of Wonderment (as John dubbed it) were minding their own businesses and relaxing. George was laid down the couch, Ringo was decorating his dessert platter and Paul had just finished taking a bath and was brushing his teeth when suddenly, a shout came from the hallway, “YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, OLD MAN!” A cackle then rang loud and clear around the house, followed by a door slam.

Ringo stuck his head out curiously from the kitchen and George craned his neck to see John, sauntering into the living room with a triumphant grin on his face and doused with sweat, cold as it was.

He peeled off his disguises (which were threatening to fall anyway) and threw them aside. “Alright, Geo?” John said, collapsing on the couch, pushing George’s legs back and panting slightly.

“What did you do?” George narrowed his eyes suspiciously. But before he got an answer, Paul ran in from upstairs, hair still a mess and a toothbrush dangling out of his mouth.

“What happened?” he asked with wide eyes. John’s face (if even possible) looked even more smug than before.

“I got us a new toy.”

30 minutes ago

John was strolling into a new shop that he found. It looked dim and creepy and that was enough for him to explore it. On display was skulls and weird candles. John scoffed and immediately almost lost his balance when he was forced to stop, almost knocking over an old man, looking up to him. “Erm… Hello,” John said waving his hand a little. The man frowned and looked him up and down but stayed silent. John looked around nervously and seeing the man not showing any kind reaction, he continued in a rather posh accent, “Nice little shop you got here. Er… My name is William C-”

“John Lennon,” the man suddenly said with a raspy voice. John's eyes widened before he quickly tried to mask his expression with confusion.

“Hmm… a lot of people say that. I must really look like him. I should start a tribute band,” He offered his most charming smile but seeing that the man simply did not give a damn, he dropped it. “Alright, it’s not tha’ bad,” he rolled his eyes and tugged at his fake beard lightly.

Suddenly, a gleam caught John’s eyes. “Ey, what’s tha’?” he pointed on one of the shelves. A pendant, dull, metal coloured but shining nonetheless, was delicately placed on a velvety surface. He moved closer to examine it and saw the ‘For Free’ tag on it. “Eh, can I have that?” He asked the shopkeeper.

A mischievous and evil smile came on to the old man’s face. “Actually, I will prepare it for you and your worthless insects you call your friends.” John eyes narrowed but he nodded to the man.

John watched as the old man took weird things out of pouches under his desk. He watched as the man started to do some sort of a ritual. Watched as the man chanted and whispered something but all John could hear was “...turn them...monster that they are...creatures from legends...though the cruelty of life…” John raised his eyebrows but said nothing. The man seemingly finished the ritual and went under his desk again. He re-appeared with a small knife in his hand. John sat up straight and back up a bit when the man aimed it in his direction. “Now to seal your death and destruction, a drop of the victim’s fresh blood,” the man shouted as he leaped onto the desk.

John immediately jumped out of his seat and ran towards the door. He frantically tried the handled but the doors were locked by some kind of device that could control the lock from afar. He saw that the man was still chasing him so he ran back to the desk/counter, hoping to get further from the man. He saw a spear like object and a shield thingy near the pendant. He directed his gaze to the window and a crazy thought flashes across his brain.

He had to try it.

He grabbed the spear and the shield. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the pendant gleamed at him (and one insane man running towards him with a knife) and before he knew it, he had the item in his pocket and let out a battle-cry as he lobbed the spear at the glass windows next to the doors which shattered satisfyingly ( and much to the dismay of the man) and John burst through it, covering his body with the large, strangely light but quite sturdy shield. He fell outside with a loud clatter and a lot of bruises and road rash, but he didn’t even feel them (well at least then). A crowd of people stood and stared and even gasped at the sight. John paid no attention to them and ran. He looked back but didn’t notice the shop has disappeared.

Present

“So you stole them?” Paul asked, breaking the long silence after John recounted his story.

“Well it was labeled for free so technically, no.” John said somewhat cheerfully. He stood up to pick up the pendant that he displayed on the table but then crashed back down on the couch, wincing. Paul immediately stood up and held John’s hand, worry filing his eyes.

“Ugh… remember when I said I jumped out of the window? I think my leg got sprained,” John winced, “The right one,” he added when he saw Paul confusedly switching his gaze from John left and right leg. Paul stood up and told George to help him. Automatically, George took him from the armpits and Paul went to take John’s legs, something they've practiced way too much. Yay for underage drinking and getting pissed out of your mind.

After Paul, George and Ringo rubbed and tried to soothe the pain in John’s ankle (which Ringo basically fixed after he remembered what his parents did when he accidentally hurt his ankles), they all decided to hang out in the bedroom for a while. Paul was still tending to John, George went to get snacks to eat together in John and Paul’s bedroom and Ringo decided to bring the pendant to John. John looked over it fondly and put it on his bedside table. They talked and then they all followed their normal evening schedule (save for John limping every now and then).

After a while they all retired to their own bedroom upstairs. John looked at the pendant one more time before sleep overtook him. He reached his hand and took the pendant, weighing it on his hand. He slowly slipped it on, being careful so that he doesn’t move Paul’s hand that was on his waist too much.

They all woke up the next morning to a loud, horrified screech.