Super Teens: Summertime

Zipping up the costume from behind, I take a second to look at myself, checking to see if the clothing fits properly. An operation of this much importance demands that I look the part, and this...this...
"I don't think this is a good idea."
Joe looks at me. "Yeah, the wetsuit is too similar to your regular costume, especially the black parts."
I nod. "I miss the original suits. The silver was much more comforting."
"Yeah, and we didn't have S.H.A.R.C written down our legs like morons," Joe continues, "but now we work for the GSU, I guess we'll just have to put up with it."
I unzip the wetsuit. "I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life!"
Joe helps me out of the swimming costume. "It's just a trip to the beach. What's so special about it? We've come here together multiple times before in the past."
"Yeah, but this is the first time I've brought Tess!" I protest, stepping out of the wetsuit. "It's totally different! I would have brought her sooner, but then we became the Super Teens, and then there was Lucifer's sick game, and now we're here, nearly a year later, and this is the first opportunity I've got, and I'm so under prepared!"
"Relax, and try this one."
I turn around to face Joe, and struggle to identify the flimsy piece of fabric he holds in his hand. "What's that?"
Joe grins. It's a grin that means trouble.
"A jockstrap."
There is a sudden string of curses that follow this statement.
"Why would you even think of bringing that? Seriously! You'd scar Tess for life with that!"
Joe starts laughing. I bet Tess is having a much easier time with this - how many different costumes are there for girls, anyway?

I look at the next item in the mirror. "I don't think this is the one."
Lily sighs, but rummages through the bag of costumes she bought for this exact occasion. Some of them seemed like a good idea at the time, but now...
"It's too frilly. And a bit revealing," I elaborate.
"Really? I think it suits you," Lily replies.
"It might, but... this is the first date Ryan's had a chance to take me on in nearly a year. I know how much he was looking forwards to it - he could barely get his words straight, so I've got to get this right. And I don't think that this costume will do that."
Lily pouts a little. "Alright then, what are you looking for? If you're trying to keep him interested, I could recommend this one..."
Looking at the scraps of fabric that Lily is holding, I can feel an embarrassed blush rising onto my cheeks. "No! That's what someone who has more than one boyfriend would wear! I don't want to look like a cheap tart!"
Lily's showing off a sharp sparkle on her eye. "Are you sure..."
"Yes!" I reply, flustered. Ryan must be having a much easier time than me - all he needs to pick are shorts.

With Joe's - worthless - advice finished, I finally make my choice; a simple pair of baggy mottled grey shorts. I check my hair - brown, not too short, and combed perfectly - and after taking a deep breath, step out into the sunlight.
It's a warm day, but pleasantly so. The sky has a few fluffy clouds, but is otherwise clear and beautifully blue. The beach itself is pretty empty, and the waters are clear and blue. This is the perfect day for a date, I can feel it!

If I'd had my way, of course, it would have been just Tess and I, but this is the first day off we've all had in a year, and it would have been a shame to not have Joe and Lily here. Besides, if we hadn't invited Joe, he would have invited himself, and that could have ruined the mood completely. Plus, he's my best friend, and right now, my wingman. For better or worse.
He decided to go with some shorts like mine, only with a floral pattern he insists is somehow still masculine.
We stand there, waiting. The girls must still be getting changed. I don't understand how it can take them so long, though.
Joe nudges me. "You're trying to imagine Tess as she gets dressed, aren't you?"
"No!" I yell. "I would never!"
Joe pulls a face. "Oh, and why not? It's only natural; she is your girlfriend, after all."
Before I can kill him, Lily finally exits the changing rooms. She's a scandal in her red leopard print bikini bottom, whilst covering her chest with a small, black bikini top. Her black hair cut to shoulder length.
"What's all the noise about?" She asks.
"We were just discussing-" Joe starts, but I elbow him in advance; it's not uncommon for him to try and cause trouble, especially where the girls are involved.
"It's nothing. Just guys stuff," I reply in his stead.
Lily tilts her head, her green questioning, but she leaves the topic alone.
"Anyway, Tess is ready. At last. Come on girl, you're keeping your man waiting!" She shouts into the changing room.
"I'm coming, I'm coming..." Tess shouts back nervously.
She placed one white foot into the daylight, and then steps out completely.
I can feel my jaw drop. Tess has gone for a costume that is much more conservative - a full swimsuit - but still looks like something a grown woman would wear. It has alternating black and gold waves emblazoned across it, looping over her left shoulder only, and with a small cutout just over her right hip. Her blonde hair is golden in the sunlight.
Tess catches me staring, and holds her arm shyly. "Well?" She asks.
I try to find the words, but they aren't coming. Nothing is, except for a few strangled sounds from my malfunctioning vocal cords, and the sudden realisation that wearing baggy shorts has suddenly become a very good idea.
Joe smiles. "I don't think he likes it."
That single sentence is enough to snap my back into a working state.
"No, no, no, no! It's not that at all! You look... amazing! It's really good on you!"
Tess blushes a bit. "You think so?"
I nod. "Yeah. You look beautiful."
Lily interrupts. "Ugh. Do we have to be here for this part, or can I get going to the beach now while the sun is still up. I have a tan I need to get."
With that said, she spins on her heel and walls away, towards the sand. I look over my shoulder at Joe, who shrugs, and then follows her.
I turn back to Tess. "Well, that really ruined a moment."
She smiles. "Come on. Let's go after them." She takes my hand, and we follow after our friends.