Chapter 1

Hayden's Usual Jewelry:

Hayden makes his way through the run-down streets of the Isle of the Lost, doing his best to remain in the shadows at all times. This isn't particularly hard to do as the magical barrier surrounding the Isle, along with the general smog hanging in the air, blocks most of the sun's light.

His path is made even easier by the fact that the other people on the streets tend to instinctively move out of his way, avoiding all possibilities of physical contact. As the son of Hades himself, Hayden tends to unnerve the living. He's asked his friends, no, allies before what exactly is so off-putting about him and received multiple answers.

Evie said it was his tendency to talk casually about death, souls, the Underworld, etc.

Jay said it was the way he seems to almost glide rather than walk, never making a sound even in his heavy boots.

Carlos said it was the way he tends to blend into the shadows as if they are a part of him.

Mal said it was his golden eyes and the way they seem to almost glow even on the magic-free Isle.

Uma said it was the ever-present knowledge that he is the son of the devil himself.

Gil said it was because everybody knows he never really chooses a side, content to remain a neutral party.

Harry said it was the way he can look at a person as if seeing their soul itself, like he knows exactly which way their final judgement will fall. Of course, he followed this statement with a wink and 'permission' to read his soul anytime.

Hayden smirks at the thought of the (probably) insane pirate as Ursula's Fish and Chips comes into view. He reaches the door just as an older, scruffy looking pirate exits. The pirate, likely a member of Hook Senior's crew, freezes as soon as he sees Hayden. The eye that is not covered by a patch widens as it meets the bright golden eyes of the pale boy standing in front of him. Hayden cocks one eyebrow and that's all it takes as the pirate nearly trips over himself to scramble out of his way.

With a chuckle, Hayden pushes the crooked door open and walks into the shop. The shop's occupants, mainly Uma's crew, all seem to pause as they see him; however, used to him hanging around, they don't take long to return to their activities. Hayden makes his way to the front counter where Uma stands talking to Gil and Harry, clearly not working.

Harry's blue eyes seem to brighten even more as Hayden joins them. "Well, if it isn't me favorite god," he drawls, accent thick as ever.

Hayden rolls his eyes. "Not technically a god, Harry," he reminds him yet again.

"Aye," Harry agrees, pointing at him with his silver hook, "but ye' should be."

"Right," Gil says obliviously as he grabs a piece of fish off the tray in front of him. "You should be but you're not because the Olympians decided it would be too dangerous to have another death god, so they put you here. Well, except-" he's cut off as Uma calls his name.

"Gil!" She shoots him a pointed look. "I'm gonna need you to stop talking," she continues, sharing an eyeroll with Hayden. They both ignore it as Harry reaches over to flick the blond on the forehead and the two of them begin to squabble.

"What are you here for?" she asks him.

Hayden sighs and runs a hand through his curly black hair. "I'm just here to tell you that I'm not gonna be around for a little while. As in, I won't be on the island." 

At this announcement, Harry and Gil abruptly stop their arguing while Uma places her palms flat on the counter and leans forward, clearly intrigued.

"What do ye' mean ye' won't be on the island?" Harry asks. "It's September. It's also Sunday."

It's a valid question. See, Hayden is the only resident of the Isle of the Lost that can actually leave the Isle. He spends three days a week, Tuesday through Thursday, in the Underworld, learning about his godly nature under his father's guidance. Of course, that's only during spring and summer because gods forbid (literally) he be allowed to see his own mother. His fall and winter months are spent well and truly trapped on the Isle.

Hayden just sighs again. "You know the walking throw rug's kid? Prince Ben?" he asks. They all nod. "Seems that baby's first proclamation is to bring some of the villains' kids over to Auradon."

"An' yer one of 'em?" Harry asks.

"I am," Hayden says. "Along with Mal, Jay, Evie, and Carlos," he finishes, looking directly at Uma. 

Predictably, her hands immediately clench into tight fists as she hears Mal's name. She accepts that Hayden is allies with Mal and the others if only because she knows that Hayden doesn't really choose sides. He prefers to remain as neutral as possible.

Except, of course, where the Olympians are concerned. Not that Hayden would call himself bitter or anything. Others might, but not him.

"Of course, she's going," Uma says through gritted teeth. She takes a deep breath, seemingly getting herself back under control. "When are you leaving?" she asks calmly.

"Maleficent should be telling them the deal sometime in the next few minutes. I'll meet up with them at Bargain Castle and then we're off," Hayden answers.

Gil's brow furrows in confusion, not exactly an unusual look for him. "Wait, if she hasn't even told them yet, then how do you know about it?"

"My father talked to the Fates and told me before I left the Underworld," he says casually. "He's sure that Maleficent has some kind of plan in mind to bring down the barrier from the other side, so..." he trails off. They all nod in understanding, even Gil.

"If there's a chance we can all get off this garbage dump then you'd better get to it," Uma says as she turns to head back into the kitchen, which is her own form of a goodbye, he knows.

Gil waves as he goes back to eating. "Bye, Hayden!"

Harry just looks at him for a moment before hopping over the counter to walk with him to the door. "Right," the pirate says. "I guess ye' best be goin' then. Wouldn't want to miss the big announcement," he says sarcastically.

"Eh," Hayden shrugs. "I've got time to get over there. I mean, they've got to finish their song before she can tell them," he points out.

Harry looks puzzled. "Why do we always end up singin'?" he asks.

"I haven't figured it out yet," Hayden tells him as they walk through the doors and stand just outside of the shop.

They look at each other for a long moment. "Yer da's really sure 'bout this?"

"Things are gonna get better for all of us, Harry," Hayden says seriously. A slow smirk crawls across his full lips as he holds out one ring adorned hand. "We could shake on it if it'll make you feel better," he says.

Harry gives him his usual grin, just a touch too wide like always. "Now, godling, I may be a wee bit mad but I'm no fool," he drawls, shaking his hook in his direction. "I know better than to go makin' a deal with yeh."

Hayden just laughs as he turns and starts off in the direction of Bargain Castle, seemingly disappearing into the shadows. Harry's grin softens a little as he shakes his head and turns back into Ursula's.