Chapter 10

Family Day comes far too soon for any of the villain kids' liking. All five of them stand on a balcony overlooking the festivities when music catches their attention as a group of students gathers.

"Oh, they're not," Hayden groans. Ben makes his way to the front of the little group of students as he begins their song. "Why? Why must they always sing?" he complains.

"You have to admit, the song choice is... interesting," Carlos comments as he scratches between Dude's ears.

"That's one word for it," Jay drawls.

Hayden frowns as he watches the group throw their menus aside. "Someone had better pick those up," he mutters.

"I'm sure they will," Mal tells him with a roll of her eyes.

"Come on," Evie says, waving one elegant hand towards the staircase. "We should go mingle."

"Let's not and say we did," Jay suggests.

"Better yet," Hayden chimes in, "let's not and then not even say that we did." He and Jay high-five as Evie gives them a disapproving look.

"Now," she says sternly.

Reluctantly, they all follow her down the stairs and across the lawn. Hayden amuses himself by watching the reactions of all the 'good' families as they notice who they are.

The little musical number comes to an end, thank the Fates, just as Mal discovers a plate of strawberries. Right beside it is a table with what looks to be a chocolate fountain. Naturally, Jay and Carlos immediately make for it. Evie takes Dude with a sigh as his new owner hurries over to the chocolate.

Hayden absentmindedly scratches under the dog's chin as he takes the opportunity to continue the argument he and Evie have been having since she set out their outfits for the event.

"If I end up burning in this stupidly bright sun then I blame you," he tells her.

She rolls her eyes. "That's why you put on the sunscreen," she reminds him.

"Why couldn't I just wear my jacket?" he asks again. "Jay got to," he adds as he gestures first towards the chocolate fountain then at the short-sleeved button up he'd been forced into.

Evie shoots him a look. "Jay is wearing an appropriate jacket for this event. Your jacket is in no way appropriate for this crowd."

Hayden cocks one eyebrow. "Since when do I care about what these people find appropriate?"

"Since Mal is dating the almost king," Evie says firmly.

"That sounds more like her problem than mine," he points out as he crosses his arms. "Besides, these people will never find the devil's son 'appropriate' no matter what."

Evie looks at him for a long moment. "You're perfectly fine with that, aren't you?" she asks rhetorically. Hayden nods in answer anyway.

Mal draws their attention away from the repeated argument as Ben catches her attention. "I gotta go, okay?" she tells them, already making her way to the prince's side. They both watch as Ben wraps one arm around her shoulders and starts to lead her over to his parents.

"How do you think that's gonna go?" Hayden asks.

"It'll be fine," Evie says, clearly trying to convince herself as much as anyone.

"Meeting the parents can't be easy," he reminds her. "Especially when they're the self-proclaimed king and queen of goodness and you're the child of an infamous villain."

"Not that you would know," she says wryly. "I mean, I'm pretty sure Hook likes you."

Hayden starts to deny that it's in any way the same thing but, at Evie's pointed look, just shrugs his shoulders. "The captain likes me about as much as he likes anyone," he admits. "It helps that old Tick-Tock stays away when I'm around."