Chapter One

Cara's Point of View

It has been 6 years, 4 months, 27 days, 10 hours and 32 minutes. Screw it, 33 minutes. That's the first thought that came to my mind, when the sun forcefully made me open my eyes, not someone named sun, the sun which happened to be a star.

It was too bright, glaring directly at me. In fact, it made my eyes teary, just like what an onion will do to your eyes, I think onion is not mean at all, but it is what humans demand it to be, since they slice it in tiny pieces and I highly support self defense. 

I tossed and wrapped myself in a comforter. I couldn't wake up at 6 AM in the morning anyways, it's too early. I cleared my mind off any stressful  thoughts like I have to go to work. I dug my head in the soft pillow and fell asleep peacefully.

My alarm buzzed so deafeningly, it felt like my head was about to blow. What kind of torture is it, I wondered. Maybe this world is collapsing and I am sound asleep. Well, I was. I rolled on the other side of my single cramped bed, and tried to reach for my phone.

Ouch!

My attempt to reach the invisible other side of my bed made me fall on the hard floor, making me groan in pain. I held my back, just like any old woman would and got up. I turned off the alarm.

Reality immediately sank in. It was eight in the morning and I was extremely late. Not that I mind being late but my job means the world to me. It was just two weeks ago when I got accepted as a typist. I could easily do the work here with the comfort of my own apartment even though it's rented but I have to daily go to work.

I rushed to the washroom. I let myself enjoy warm water against my skin. Water droplets falling on my olive skin made me relax. I hurriedly grasped shampoo and applied it on my strawberry blonde hair. My hair was continuously shedding like tree leaves because of that shampoo, woefully, I could not get a new one unless this was finished since it was out of my financial reach.

I dried my body with a pinkish ragged towel. After that I wrapped that towel around my hair. I wore a plain white shirt and a pair of old jeans. I unwrapped the towel, leaving my kind of wet hair. Then I wounded them into a messy bun.

I studied my reflection. I had heavy eye bags due to lack of sleep. I wasn't catching any sleep lately because of all of the pressure and stress. The shine in my ocean blue eyes, I used to have was gone. I looked skinnier than ever. I slide my feet in my white flats. I hung my purse on my shoulder.

I strolled out of my apartment. I caught the nine fifteen bus. I entered the busy and comfortably positioned myself in the seat. I took a glance at my phone which had a shattered screen after the morning incident.

My sixth sense told me that someone is staring at me, I looked straight to find a middle aged man creepily staring at me. His dull grey eyes seemed like they would pop out of their socket if he stared at me for one more second. He didn't even blink once. I uncomfortably shifted my gaze back to my broken phone.

The bus stopped at the stop. I got up off the leather seat. I grabbed my purse and shoved my phone back inside my purse.

I decided to go and quickly grab a cup of coffee since I didn't get to have breakfast. I stopped by a local cafe which was located near my work place. It had a pastel colors scheme, my favorite colors. It looked really comfy and homey.

Luckily, it didn't have a waiting line. I flee towards the counter. A petite woman approximately my age, was standing behind the counter.

"What would you like to order, ma'am?" She inquired, sounding frustrated.

"I would like to get a cup of hot coffee, please." I replied.

She handed me a cup of coffee. I paid for it and left hurriedly. I rushed towards the office. I moved into the portion, I was working in.

All sides were blocked by yellowish brown floral curtains. I pulled out the office chair and planted myself on it. I then began drinking my hot coffee. Hot liquid against my throat made me feel heavenly.

I started typing. Hours flew by. I was exhausted. I stood up to get myself water when my boss suddenly called me up. I picked up the call and heard his crabby voice.

"Cara, come to my office now!" He commanded.

"Yes, sir." I stuttered,trying to sound as humble as possible. Why is he calling me? Did I do something wrong? I questioned myself.

He hung up the call. I rolled the curtains open and made my way to his office. I nervously knocked at this office door. My knuckles got redder as I kept tapping on the door. I heard his voice replying.

"Come in."

When I went into his office, I watched his face getting redder by every passing second. Slowly, I sat on a couch.

"You were late on Tuesday and today you repeated your mistake again!" He screamed looking like a red tomato.

I bit my tongue and stooped my head low.

"Uh.. Sir, my apologies. It won't happen again." I stammered, trying to give out a valid reason but failed.

He shook his head in anger. His grey hair was standing out meanwhile.

"I'm paying you. You are getting paid! Why don't you get that, huh?" He boomed in a harsh tone. I gulped anxiously.

"I know that, sir. I wouldn't be working here with a grumpy old man like you if I wasn't getting paid." I reasoned out, and regretted it right after. Ugh, I hate my sharp tongue which I can't seem to control.

"You are fired!" He exclaimed, his veins popping out of his head.

Oh my goodness, why does my tongue always mess up? Worry washed over me.

I stepped out of his office as my breath hitched. I rolled open the curtains and took my belongings. For the last time, I looked around the office sadly and then left. Now, I even lost my job.

...

My friend, Jade, came to pick me up. We happened to be sharing an apartment cause I and her couldn't afford it alone. As soon as she showed up, I tightly embraced her. Her dark brown locks were falling on her chubby face, she tucked them behind her ear.

We decided to stop by a fast food restaurant & takeaway our meal. We both usually argue on who is going to pay, but not like most people. We both don't want to pay, but she paid this time since I am jobless. Throughout, the ride she kept shooting worried glances my way.

I twisted the key inside the lock of my apartment, then I bent the knob. The door flew open. Jade was trailing behind me like a fretful mother.

I placed my purse on the mini coffee table and flopped on the couch. This is last week of paying my apartment's rent or else I will get thrown out of here too. 

She placed our burgers on the dining table. Our dinning table is just for two people. I noticed that it's edges were getting rusty.

She broke the ice by saying "Umm.. so do you want ketchup or mayonnaise."

"You know it already, don't you? It's ketchup Jad." I rejoiced, curiously.

"Yeah, yeah." She let out a chuckle.

I took a bite of my burger. Delicious! I gulped it and took a sip of water. I caught Jade looking at me with concern. I simply shrugged.

I don't have energy to explain everything to her. I know she won't let me live without me letting her know everything in detail. I made a mental note to tell her everything tomorrow.

After finishing my burger, I went to my bathroom. I quickly changed into my pajamas and brushed my teeth.

I opened the lid of my laptop and searched for jobs, I found two decent jobs. A little
burden lifted off my shoulders. My lips turned into a small smile. I removed my shoes. I laid on the bed and closed my eyes.