Prologue

The way one phone call can swap Perla's entire life never crossed her mind. She shut her eyes, as it was the only escape.

And, that was it. Perla's brother, Angus, was dead. To her, she was the one to be blamed.

Time was her inimical eternal companion. Only if she agreed earlier, things wouldn't be the same, her brother would have still been by her side. Slowly, a tear made its way down her cheek, followed by its uncountable companions.

Stars danced in the clear sky as their twinkling magic filled the inky night. They were like a million diamonds engraved in an eternal blanket of darkness.

As the heartbroken girl made
her way from under the canopy of winking stars, the stars edged a little closer wanting to be seen. Indeed, it was a beautiful sight and if it was someone other than the girl with a cloud of melancholy roaming above her head, they surely would have noticed, maybe stared too for a long time, praising the beauty for years afterwards.

The heartbroken girl noticed nothing, nothing but the way her dirty sneakers made scratching noises on the rough path as she mindlessly wandered from one place to another.

That night was bare of all sounds. Even the leaves speckled with stardust didn't let out a sweet moan as the chilly night breeze gently caressed them. Everything was wrapped in a velvety curtain of silence, listening to the painful soft sounds of the Perla's broken heart. Her heart weighed more than the entire universe tonight.

Funny how, there was internal cloudburst in such an innocent girl. Questioning her cursed faith, she kept strolling. Anyone she was fond of, would cast aside her or pass away. They all slipped through her fingers like water, the tighter she clenched it, the faster they ran through her fingers. Just like her parents, and brother.

Anger blinded her as she recalled what he did. Perla didn't only lose Angus, but also her. She knew who was behind this, and she believed he was going to pay for it, the sooner the better.