Chapter 1

Sleep
And as she slept
She was like a moment of magic
Paused through time
@Stelle_poetry

Mateo

Come on, Eileen, oh I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everything
You in that dress, my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah, come on, Eileen
Come on, Eileen
These people 'round here
Were beaten down, eyes sunk in smoke-dried face
They're resigned to what their fate is
But not us (no, never), no, not us (no, never)
We are far to young and clever
(Remember)
Too ra loo ra too ra loo rye aye
And you'll hum this tune forever

I sang along to the song as I woke up to the sounds of the birds chirping and the cool spring breeze.

The song brought me to my feet as I tidied up my bed and went to the bathroom to take care of the usual business. I went to go brush my teeth as I stared at the empty wall above the sink where a mirror should've been but I've made sure to throw away.

I didn't have any mirrors in my house or anything considered reflective other than some of my kitchen appliances. I make sure that I never have a chance to even glance at myself since I know that I'll just be disappointed by the image I see.

I quickly rid of the negative thoughts before my mind goes back to its dark place and head outside to the only living things I've learned to trust.

"Why hello, Eileen I see you have some gifts for me." I say as I carefully pick up some of the eggs that Eileen has laid.

"How about you Annie I see you also have some gifts for me." I go to pick up the rest of the eggs as I head over to my vegetable farm.

I pick some of the cherry tomatoes off their stem and put it along with the eggs. I've been craving some hash browns so I go over to where I grow my potatoes and pick up the stem to be met by beautifully grown potatoes.

There's not a lot of things I pride myself in but being able to live off of food that I've grown myself does make me proud. There's not a lot of people that can say that, well I wouldn't know exactly since I haven't had a conversation with a person in probably 5 years. For all I know, everybody grows their own food themselves by now. Unless you count the delivery man that comes here once a month then I haven't had proper human contact in a while. Even so, I don't think you can count one word as a conversation.

Content with the contents that are in my basket, I quickly make a stop to pick some strawberries for a nice smoothie.

I breathe in the nice fresh air before going back inside to start today's breakfast.

I put on a record on my state of the art turntable and begin cooking.

Annie, are you ok
Will you tell us that you're ok
There's a sign at the window
That he struck you
A crescendo, Annie
He came into your apartment
He left the bloodstains on the carpet
Then you ran into the bedroom
You were struck down
It was your doom
Annie, are you okay, you okay, you okay, Annie?
You've been hit by
You've been struck by
A smooth criminal

If you haven't noticed then yes I did name both of my chickens after some of the songs I like. I didn't really have an idea of what to name them and it just so happened that I was listening to these songs.

I hum along to the song as I crack 3 eggs into a bowl and put some of the chopped cherry tomatoes in with some salt and pepper and put it into the hot pan. I leave that to cook as I get my blender out and put my washed and stemmed strawberries with some ice and blend it up till there were no big chunks.