Chapter 13

Mateo

"Okay get here quick." Dr.Brown, as he's introduced himself looked at me as he put down the phone after calling who I assume was Emerald.

That's right Emerald, where is she? How is she? How long have I been out!

All this thinking made my heart rate go up which caught the Doctors attention.

"Son, you're gonna need to calm down. You're safe here. No one will hurt you as long as you're in the infirmary, Victoria should be here soon." The doctor said trying to assure me.

Victoria? Who's Victoria?

"While we wait let me check your condition."

He then proceeded to flash a light towards my eyes to check for any head trauma and thankfully I responded well.

"Well son, apart from your ribs and a minor concussion, you're stable, but because of the amount of blood you lost I can't let you out just yet." I didn't care how much time it would take for me to heal, as long as I don't ever have to go back down there.

Though I did feel like crap. If I move even the slightest bit a shot of pain urges through my whole body. I brought my hand to my abdomen and felt the place the I was stabbed, it was extremely tender and even the slightest pressure hurt like hell.

"Mateo!" Doctor Brown and I both look up at the sound of a shout and see Emerald running towards us.

She looked stunning. I've only seen her in my t-shirts, but seeing her in a dress just amplified her beauty. It's only been a day or two that I haven't seen her but it felt like an eternity.

I quickly stopped ogling at her after noticing the tears streaming down her face.

"Emerald what's wrong, why are you crying? Did he hurt you?" I hurriedly asked

"Mateo are you alright? I came here as soon as I heard." She immediately came by my side and held my large hands in her small palms.

"Emerald you didn't answer my question, did he hurt you?" I don't know where I got the sudden urge to be all stern with her but I needed to know why she was crying. For the sake of my own sanity.

"No, Mateo I'm just happy that you're awake." I looked into her eyes to see if she was lying and I breathed out a sigh of relief I didn't know I was holding as I saw that she was telling the truth.

"Dr. Brown how is he?" She frantically asked the old man who seemed to have been studying Emerald and I's exchange.

"He's definitely in great shape, I mean considering the circumstances, anyone else who took the same beating as him would be in bed for weeks but the years seemed to have done him good. His overall physical state however is not great, it'll take some time for him recover from the blood loss and his stab wound will definitely take its time to heal but because of how well he's seemed to have taken care of himself over the years his body will do all the work."

I look over at Emerald and see her shoulders relax at the somewhat positive news. She held onto my hands tighter and softly kissed each knuckle, not caring about how tattered it looked with all the bandages and bruises. She looked at me with those same hypnotizing green eyes of hers that I found myself falling in love with but this time she looked at me so much raw emotions that it was hard to decipher any of them.