Coming Home

I couldn't believe it. The tires sound against the loose gravel rang in my ears as I drove but I still couldn't believe it. I pulled into the driveway, turned off my headlights and just stared at my childhood home.

My dad was... dead. Apparently shot himself. Divorce, love, it made people do crazy things and drove them even more so. My mom refused to come, she blamed herself for leaving and apparently her and her new husband in Manhattan were expecting. She was too busy for Hawkins. For the funeral...

I couldn't believe it.

It was as if yesterday he slapped me across the face and kicked me out. I hate that it was our last memory together. Tears never came though. I just stared at the house, in its darkness and just thought, this was the only tragedy in the last four years, right? Why did I even leave? If I had stayed, maybe dad-

"Stop. Shut up, Hannah. He was cheating on mom a ton. Nothing could've stopped what happened." I said to myself, putting the car in park.

I would keep this visit quick, keep myself low.

The quiet was a little too much, though, so, I turned on the tv, made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chewed like I hadn't eaten before.

This was filled to the brim with peanut butter.

"That's right, Stacy," laughed the news anchor, "and things are certainly heating up this summer with the new community pool. Packed to its full capacity almost every day. Starcourt Mall thriving, too. What a great time to live in Hawkins. Speaking of the pool, let's go to Charles with tomorrow's forecast."

A mall? A pool? When in the hell did Hawkins get enough money for that?

After my lonely mans dinner, I laid on the couch, flipping through channels, hoping to take my mind off of it. Off of him.

No, not my dad.

Hop.

And I don't know what stupid part of me felt like going, but I locked up the house, got into my car and drove home. Our home. The one I lived in for nearly half a year.

To my surprise, someone was in there but... it wasn't Hopper. It was plastic nails with a family, snuggled up on the couch watching a movie, eating popcorn. I stared. From my car, across the street, I stared. Like a fucking creep. Did Hopper still live in Hawkins?

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel and drove to the gas station, seeing an unrecognizable teen at the counter. Surely, though, they knew about Hopper. Right?

Why did I want to know? Wouldn't it just hurt me more? Shouldn't I just avoid him and get the hell out of Hawkins? As quickly as possible? I had to get back to Mu-

"Are you going to buy that?" The teenager gawked, glancing at the cheezits in my hand.

"Yeah. Hey, um," I say, digging in my pocket for some cash, "do you know Jim Hopper?"

The clerk raises a brow at me and strikes a look of worry.

"What the hell kind of question is that? Everyone knows the chief of police. Are you on drugs?"

I pop my lips and slam my cash onto the counter, opening my cheezits and crunching them loudly between my teeth.

"It was just a question, kid." I grunt, walking out the door and back to my car.

"No way." Is that...?

I glance up and see the first familiar face. I knew it was bound to happen but, that quickly? Lucky for me it was the only person I wanted to run into.

"Robin?!" I squeal, rushing up to her and spinning her in my arms.

"You look so good! Your hair grew!" I beam, pinching the ends of her honey locks.

"You- well thank you for the compliment but you literally haven't changed or aged a day." She laughs.

I nod and quietly give her a, "thank you."

It made me blush, remembering her small crush on me. I hoped she'd gotten more comfortable with herself over the years and it honestly warmed my heart to see her.

"Hey! Crazy idea, but I'm staying at my dads place alone and-"

"I heard... Hannah, I'm so sorry-"

I smile a bit and shake my head, "I don't know if I am. He wasn't the best guy."

"Well then, I'm sorry for that, too." She says with a sharp exhale.

She wasn't sure how to treat the situation and I wasn't really either.

"A-anyways. I'm sort of creeped out being there alone. I don't know if you're busy but, would you wanna crash there with me? Tonight?" I could feel my face wincing as I asked.

Was this crossing a boundary? Given our last few conversations?

"Totally!"

Oh thank god.

"Just let me run in and grab some licorice, I'm dying." She groans, bouncing on her heels before darting inside.

Maybe this visit wouldn't be awkward, or a total garbage fire. I got to have a sleep over with Robin, maybe tomorrow I'd hit up the pool, maybe the mall for a bathing suit, that would help. I just needed to relax, as long as I didn't go looking for him, I probably wouldn't run into him. My dad's funeral is on Wednesday, I've got a few days to just try and soak up what goodness was left here.

And Robin was a good start.