Evil Russian's and Ridiculous Shirts

After hunting through the mall I had at least a few pieces of clothing that would suffice the rest of my stay

After hunting through the mall I had at least a few pieces of clothing that would suffice the rest of my stay. I even chose a hideous shirt that Harrington felt the need to poke fun at. Robin didn't come out to say hi to me today, though, and part of me got a bad feeling about it. Was she upset with me? I sat at a table and chugged my chocolate shake, and after a few minutes, bursting through the doors came a young black girl with pigtails, curly q, and Robin. Steve followed behind them quickly, with loads and loads of ice cream, juggling them in his arms like a circus.

"Uh..."

They don't say anything to me, and sit in the booth beside me.

I couldn't help it, I couldn't help but eavesdrop. Not to mention, they were totally hiding something from me.

Something about evil Russian's, America being threatened, something about shipments and loading docks?

I slink out of my seat and,

"PSSSST," over to Steve.

"H-hold on." He says, pointing a finger at them and pulling me toward the counter, far from them.

"Y-yes?" He asks, clearing his throat as if I couldn't hear them.

"You guys sure are loud." I chuckle.

Steve runs his hand down his face and holds onto my shoulder tightly, which, after last night, actually sort of hurts.

"I want to help."

"No. I'm not letting you help-"

"But Hopper told me about all of the other-"

"And that's great, but I can't let you risk this. Plus, we don't even know what this is, really. That's what we're trying to figure out and if it's all connected I swear you and Hopper will be the first to know. We'll need more help then, but tonight's just a grunt mission-"

I snort a little and laugh out loud at, "mission."

"It's not funny, Hannah! Look, I just want you to stay safe."

"I'm sick of everyone telling me to stay safe! I want to help!"

"What?" Steve asks, raising a brow.

"Hopper and Joyce went to go investigate the lab. I don't know, something about magnets? He made me stay behind."

"Since when do you care about what other people want?"

My jaw drops at the audacity.

"That came out wrong! I just mean... I know you want to help, but I know you've also basically been in love with Hopper since-"

I slap my hand over his mouth and beg him,

"Watch it, Harrington."

He pulls at my wrist and removes my hand from his soft lips.

"I know you want to help. But, we'll be okay. I really think you should help the person you especially don't want to lose-"

"I don't want to lose anyone!" I practically scream, getting raised eyebrows from the entire table.

"If I don't go with you there's a chance I don't ever see you again, if I don't go with Hopper, there's a chance for that, too. I just... why does this have to be two separate things?" I groan.

Steve shrugs, "because they just are. Evil Russian's have nothing to do with the lab. It's sort of a pick your poison type of thing. But I know your favorite poison better than anybody. I may be stupid, but I can see it in your eyes when you talk about him."

"You're- you're not stupid, Harrington." I mumble, wrapping my arms around his hips and resting my head on his chest for a tight hug.

I can feel his heart rate speed up, and he smoothly wraps his arms around me, too. We sway for a short minute and I whisper into his chest,

"Just stay safe. Please."

I feel him kiss my forehead and my cheeks go painstakingly red.

I push away from him and clear my throat, looking back up to see his face is just as red.

"We will." He says, shooting me with a couple finger guns.

"Your shirts hideous, by the way!" He shouts to me before taking his rightful seat back next to Robin.

They all smile and wave me a goodbye and I reluctantly do the same before heading back to the cabin.

I laid in the recliner for hours upon hours. Time was just passing and I was left with these random thoughts. Being on two separate journeys, everyone being so capable of getting hurt, with all the crazy bullshit Hopper fed to me earlier today, I was sort of panicked. What if I lost Steve? Hopper? And although I just met her, El? What if Hopper lost El?

I groan, flipping through channels as I drift in and out of this barely sleeping routine. Just before my eyes felt heavy enough to finally shut for good, I heard a sound come from outside of the cabin. A loud, muffled scream of my name barely audible above the raindrops.

I sat up quickly and rushed to open the cabin door and outside, in the pouring storm, was Joyce struggling to carry a beaten, bruised, and very bloody Hopper. He was unconscious.

I felt breathless, and just stared with my mouth agape for a short moment, trying to wrap my head around what was in front of me.

She tugs him a little closer and calls for me a little more softly,

"Hannah, help?!" She groans, exhausted.

I approach slowly, my hands shaking,

"Wha-what happened?" I stutter, leaning down to him and touching his face gently.

I look to Joyce who smiles warmly to me, but her expression quickly changes,

"What are you wearing?" She asks, her upper lip curled.

"I figured if he was going to bravely wear a ridiculous shirt I mean, I'd wear one, too."