A R T E M I S

she's got a haunting girl look, a haunted child look, with dark eyes too clever for a child and a tongue sharper than her blades; she is a warrior princess.

oldest of the first godly twins; she is the serenity and quiet to her brother's loud recklessness. where he basks in the glorious sun rays, she takes seeks peace in the silence of the silvery moon- (it's the same shade as her eyes)

the stars sing her lullabies as she hunts through the night, under the canopy of countless trees, under the gazes of monsters who wouldn't ever dare come close.

see her nocking her bow and shooting silver across the black velvet sky? 

she slays the beasts and does her job.

she is pure; sworn off romance, its expectations and demands. she travels with her hunters, with the family she chose and embraced, with the sisters who turned to her and spoke the vows which promised them friendship, promised them a family, promised them forever.

see her holding bodies trembling from an unwanted touch, watch her wipe the tears of a child praying for safety, for the certainty of their control and power over their own lives.

she is a protector.

her grace is unmatched, her fierceness unlike any other.

sometimes they find her alone, under the cover of the dark, as she mourns beloveds lost and loves broken; 

(the galaxy seems to rumble, then rip itself asunder into thousands of glittering, sparkling, shattered fragments whenever she cries)

watch her burn her sorrows and wonder into the heavens; her constellations sizzle and race across the inky sky//
her very own canvas. 

her smiles are rare; most have forgotten what they look like. the star shine caught in her eyes have dimmed and her voice is quiet; the only things illuminating her are the asteroids braided into her hair, the illuminating moon she holds at her fingertips;

they can't see the celestial runes etched on her soul and the nebula in her heart.

you can find her now in darkened alleys, with a sadistic glint in her eye and a flash of metal clutched in her rough hands.  

you can hear the begging and screaming cut through the air, but no one would risk getting near as she brings down her hand to cut off the screeches, another beast hunted, her job done.

after all,
the bears in the woods aren't the only monsters to watch in this world.