02. misinterpreted messages

They were walking towards us in one of those big ass lines, like in Baywatch. Except their hair was in tight ponytails and each of them were holding their handbags in their right hand.

All of the girls greeted me with a smile a part from Charlee who ignored me as per usual. They sat down with us on the floor and took out some sandwiches from the canteen.

As you may have noticed, June is missing from the group, which I couldn't have been more happy about. Sorry, does that make me a bad person?

Charlee and June are very separate people despite being so close. June preferred to spend all of her lunch in the canteen chatting away to anyone who would listen. In fact I'm pretty sure she would talk to herself and not mind.

I'm not an idiot. I've heard Charlee's friends talk badly about June and how they hate having to spend time with her. I guess that's the problem with twins: they're a package deal.

I raised an eyebrow at Charlee, who happened to sit next to me.

"Any news?" I asked smirking a bit.

"June was looking for you." Charlee said dryly, looking at me with a bored face.

"When isn't she?" I said chuckling to myself. Charlee huffed in response and rolled her eyes.

"I wish you would stop giving her false hints, Frankie." She said before taking a bite of her sandwich.

"Who says they're false... maybe I'm telling the truth?" I say chuckling again. Charlee gave me a disgusted look and shuffled closer to India on her right.

Jourdan tried to take a chip from my pile and I quickly dodged her.

"Get your own, Jourdan! I paid good money for this." I said trying to stuff them all in my mouth.

"Don't be an idiot, Frankie." She said as she took a chip from round my other side while I wasn't looking. She held the chip up in triumph before popping it in her mouth and chewing far too close to me, to prove a point.

I pushed her away lightly, laughing. She's my ex. I can't even remember who broke up with who but I'm pretty sure it was a mutual agreement that we both wanted to meet new people.

I remember the break up last year vividly because afterwards June couldn't stop freaking smiling at me whenever she saw me. She would come up and pat me just to smile and run off.

Ah, June Freebody. I don't think I can ever escape you.

At the thought of June, I looked to her sister who was happily chatting away to Hollie and Harri. I smiled. It was nice to see her smile for once instead of scowling at me all the time.

"Hey, Frankie! What is going on with you and June anyway?" Ashby asked causing everyone to look up. I saw Charlee pale in the corner of my eye.

Paisley hit Ashby hard before gesturing her head at Charlee.

I shrugged my shoulders not bothered by the question.

"Dear June is just as obsessed with me as she was last year and the year before that and the year before that-"

"And the year before that!" All the lads shouted knowing my usual answer. The girls had all grown uncomfortably quiet and were scowling at the four of us.

"What?" Harri asked. The girls all scoffed looking at us like we were idiots. They then picked up their things and left huddling around Charlee.

"Do you think we went too far?" Caden asked timidly.

"Nah!" I said finishing off my fish and chips.

+++

"Why do you always have to follow him around like that, June?! It's so embarrassing whenever you do whatever he asks of you. You need to stop this crush and stand up for yourself because I don't know how much longer I can stand up for you."