03. the boyfriend

"He's basically my boyfriend."

I heard the simple statement in a timid voice before a chorus of laughter coming from inside the canteen.

It's a new day, lunch time to be precise aka. the best time. I mean I could go through and talk you through periods one, two and three but I'm sure you don't want to hear about sin, cos, tan and how I fell asleep by the second period.

So, lunch. Day two.

I was happily pissing in the toilet as one does when I was called for saying that there was a situation in the canteen.

Which brings us back to where we started... me walking into the canteen hearing June Freebody say I was "basically her boyfriend".

Flattered. I really am. But saying June Freebody wasn't my type was an understatement.

I watched Charlee as she looked around in distress before running up to her sister whispering words into her ear. Apparently not words June wanted to hear because tears started to fall down her face as she sniffed uncomfortably. I watched Paisley run out of Ashby's arm to comfort a guilt stricken Charlee.

I looked at Ashby and he gave me a sad smile and shrug. His head then gestures towards Harri, who I realised was in the middle of all this. Anger burned through me when I saw Harri was still laughing in June's face.

"Well what's going on in here?!" I shouted getting everyone's attention.

"Frankie!" June gasped, staring at me intensely.

"Hey, Frankie! Stupid little June Freebody seems to think that the two of you are going out!" Harri greeted me with an sly grin on his face, expecting me to deny it all and further embarrass June in front of the whole school.

I looked to the side and saw Charlee giving a depressed look towards June. She was sad. I know, no need to congratulate me on stating the obvious but she was sad, maybe even sadder than usual.

"I'll have you all fucking know that we are going out and if I hear any of you talk shit about June Freebody again, well let me tell you, I'll fuck you up and it won't be pretty." I announced before taking June's hand and quickly dragging her off to the disabled toilets on the second floor of the school.

"Frankie. I'm so s- s- sorry about." June said taking herself away from my grip and stuttering as more tears fell down her cheeks. "I think I've always known that you don't really like me, like I like you but I've still tried. I'm such an idiot."

I rubbed her back softly, unsure of what to say.

"You're not being stupid June, you're just pursuing what you want and ignoring what other people say. And that's a pretty damn good quality."

"And I'm sorry that I forced you to pretend to be my boyfriend, but they just don't believe a word I say anymore. I wish I could be more like Charlee. Even though she's the younger twin she still manages to stay calm and collected around other."

"Don't wish to be like others June. Otherwise you wouldn't be you." June looked up to me with her big green eyes shining with tears. She sniffed and wiped her tears with her sleeve.

"I think I should just go now, Frankie. I think I can convince mum to pick me up earlier. I can just say that I feel ill." June said reaching for the disabled toilet door. I quickly locked it and spun her around.

"If you think I'm going to let my girlfriend walk away with tears in her eyes then you're bloody wrong, June."

"Girlfriend?"

"Of course. I'm not gonna go embarrass you anymore by telling everyone we're not dating. I'm not giving them the satisfaction of letting them laugh."