Chapter 1: Confession🥀

"E-Ethan?"

There were tears streaming down Anna's face as she tried to process the words coming out of Ethan's mouth.

She didn't know it then, but Ethan could barely keep his composure while talking to her either.

"I'm sorry Anna, but you're on my team now and I'm your direct supervisor. I can't let you jeopardise your entire career like this". He swallowed hard, trying not let the look on her face change his decision.

"B-but what about u-"

"There is no us. There can't be an us. I'm dating Harper now".

"Harper Emery!?", she let out a shaky breath. "Seriously!?".

"Anna, please, don't-".

"No, no".

Anna wiped the tears from her red, stained cheeks using her sleeve and walked towards the door, opening it with a slight tug. Before she had left his apartment, she turned around to speak.

Anna's eyes couldn't meet his.

"I wish you all the best, Dr. Ramsey and I hope that it all works out as well as it did the first time".The slight tinge of feigned anger was unsuccessful at masking the sheer heartbreak and disappointment in her voice. Ethan cringed at her sarcasm.

Anna had closed the door on him quietly, as if all the energy in her body had been drained from when she was clamouring in front of him shamelessly.