Chapter 4: In a Bind

Mornings should be enjoyed. The quiet and calming atmosphere normally goes well with a good warm breakfast. So... why am I in this situation? My little sister has been staring daggers at me. I greeted Komachi this morning yet I was ignored. How am I going to start my day like this...?

In front of the dining table, I stared at the food for a good second. Good thing my little sister still stuck to the traditional amount of food she cooked. I looked at her, still I can see that pout in her mouth, although it is subtle. I feel bad. As we're about to start eating I said, "Hey, Komachi..."

Before I can continue, she butts in, "I'd rather finish my breakfast while it's warm. So I refuse to talk." Oww, that hurt Komachi. Honestly, there's no need for her to wait for me and eat together but then again, I realized that... well, we're almost living together by ourselves. Mom and Dad are not home for the most part. It is understandable that she would wait for me... I guess it's not just about the bond between me and her, but I'm the only big brother she ever had. When I put it this way, crap...I can see it...this giant image of her calling me "creep, stay away from me. I don't want to be infected with your creep germ." A rebellious bratty Komachi... now that's dreadful. No no no, I can't allow that to happen.

"So... you're not going to apologize for last night?" she asked. I was knocked back to reality. "Well... I was thinking of a way to apologize to you. I just can't think of anything yet." An honest answer from me but why is she giving me this upset look? "Baka Onii! You only need to say you are sorry. It's that simple! Hmphpf!" What a cute upset look, maybe I could intend to upset her from time to time just to see that. She then continued to talk about how bored she was waiting for me and the food got cold and other rants I can't even remember if I did them. I needed a way to shut her up so that I can say it. *Mmpphff* "I'm sorry Komachi." I fed her a spoonful. "You see, something came up from school and Yui asked if we could go home together. I can't see a reason to say no so...anyways so there's that."

She chewed vigorously and gulped it. "That's not the right way to say sorry big brother..." Her face was turning red however. I was about to continue eating but I saw her switch from an upset brat to a cute babe. I wondered if there's something about what I said that made her switch. Then I saw her grin saying, "Ehhhh, big brother is already making moves I see." I tried to dismiss the thought from her, "Moves? No no, you're misunderstanding something—" but before I can finish speaking she interrupted me, "The way I see it, you're the one who's misunderstanding big brother. It could have been any guy but she's currently stuck up with you. I feel sorry for Yui."

Hey now, stop putting suggestions that Yui likes me. I don't want to make the same mistake that I had before. I remember that abhorrent feeling that makes me want to feel like I want to just disappear when I assumed that a girl liked me. Even if Yui liking me was the case, there must be a driving force that makes her feel that way toward me. Perhaps, she still feels the gratitude when I saved her dog back then... I don't know. She's a nice girl, and nice girls usually don't get along with me. We finished our meals together and after taking care of the dishes, we were both ready to head out for school. Now it is rather convenient that she's going to the same school as I am. Also, the way she handled her entrance exam there made me a proud and a bit jealous. It was a cakewalk to her. Although she claims that the cram school and reviews we did together make the difference, I feel like my little sister does and will do a lot better in school than I do. I don't like to compete, but if it's against Komachi, I might need to show that I can do better. Besides, I need to show something to my Mom and Dad that I am capable enough on my own so that they don't have to worry about me in the future.

Traveling together with Komachi to school seems to be a good change of pace. Honestly, I can't bring up enough energy to be as lively as her and looking at her with that cute smile drawn on her lips shows me that she's really excited to go to school. She kept telling me about her new friends at school and how she was chosen to be their class representative. Ahhh, that's right, when it comes to personality, she's my exact opposite. As soon as we arrived at the school gates she said, "Well, I got to go big brother." I just nodded. She then pouted again, "Owww! Can you at least show a bit of enthusiasm?"  I answered, "You know, I've been in this school long enough. Nothing new here is making me enthusiastic." She then hit my side softly saying, "Well, you should be. Since I'm studying in the same school as you! Definitely I can add that as a point for being a cute little sister heheh. And is that Yui?" I glanced at the direction where she was looking, there I saw Yui standing just few steps away from us. She waved and said, "Yahallo Komachi! You look nice with our uniform." Then she looked at me, "Hi Hikky!" Well, this is awkward. "Yo...", I greeted back. She then smiled and continued, "You really looked like a big brother walking together with Komachi." I don't know it if was a compliment or I didn't look brotherly enough prior to my little sister being admitted to the school. I answered, "Well, at least I have to act like it sometimes."  She draws her face a bit closer to me. No, to be honest this is too close for my comfort. Step away for a bit geez, you'll make my heart skip a beat. "Is that so?" she asked. Komachi interrupted us, "I'll leave you two. I got to go. See ya after school big brother! Yui take care of my brother will you?"  as she skips happily while entering the school. Me and Yui were left together, standing at the gates. We both glanced at each other. Honestly, I'm starting to feel my throat dry. If I'm not careful, I might spout some unnecessary complements without me realizing it. After few seconds, she then said, "Let's go...Hikky." I... can only nod.