Chapter 23

Season 5B

Stiles and I are sitting in the hospital waiting room awaiting news on his dad. He'd told me he found his dad bleeding and I jumped at the opportunity to go with him and find out how he was after surgery. Sheriff is one of my favorite adults in Beacon Hills.

Stiles walks up to the front desk after waiting impatiently, and I follow. The nurse looks up at him. "Stilinski, right? You said his insurance was with the county? He's a deputy?"

He shoots her an exasperated look and corrects her. "No, he's the sheriff, he's the county sheriff."

The nurse nods. "Okay. He's covered. I mean he should be covered."

Melissa arrives in that second and smiles between the three of us. "I'll take care of it. I texted Scott. He's coming as soon as he can."

Stiles shakes his head. "No, no, no. Don't, don't call anyone."

The nurse lets out a sigh. "Is there anyone else we need to notify? A next of kin?"

"No, it's me. It's just me."

We head back to the chairs and Stiles' eyes start getting watery. I pull him close to me and he rests his head on my shoulder as he drifts off to sleep.

He wakes up to see Melissa standing in front of us. "He's okay. Dr. Geyer is stitching him up right now."

"Okay. I wanna see him." Stiles says, instantly standing up.

"Okay, okay. The anesthesia needs to wear off. It's gonna be at least two hours."

"Okay, yeah, but everything's gonna be okay though, I mean, he's okay?"

Melissa gives him a soft smile and nods. "He's gonna be just fine."

Stiles lets out a relieved breath. "Oh, thank God."

He snuggles into me as tears start up again, this time, of relief.

Melissa and Dr. Geyer appear a little while later and tell us something happened with the sheriff. Stiles is, well, not taking it well. "What do you mean you don't know?! Two hours ago, he was fine! Now it looks like somebody took a baseball bat to his neck!"

Dr. Geyer frowns. "There could've been some minor internal..."

Stiles' eyes narrow. "Did you say, minor internal? Since when is anything internal minor?"

"Stiles..." Melissa calls gently.

He shakes his head angrily. "I need to know what's going on with him, okay? Dr. Geyer, somebody needs to tell me what's happening. Somebody needs to tell me what's happening to him!"

"We don't know." Dr. Geyer admits.

Stiles sees Scott and rushes him. I try to pull him back, but he instantly shrugs me off. He tackles Scott to the ground and yells, "Where were you?! You trusted him! You believed him! Right, huh?! So where were you?! Where the hell were you?!"

Hospital security pulls the two of them apart. "Okay, alright, alright." Stiles states in a calmer tone.

Scott says, "Your dad's not the only one who got hurt."

Scott hasn't changed his shirt from the one Theo's claws dug into. "Oh, you'll heal." Stiles retorts.

Scott shakes his head. "I'm not talking about me."

"Who are you talking about?" I ask.

Scott doesn't answer, but leads us to Lydia's room. She's in a catatonic state and Stiles' grabs my hand instantly.