Chapter 11

It was Monday morning again, or how we called today: Vicky's birthday. Vicky turned four and she definitely was excited about it, like any other four years old would be when it's their birthday. We gave her- her presents in the morning, sang for her loudly, right before everyone needed to go and while James brought his two oldest kids to their school, Daniel was getting changed to go and train with Michael. I saw Michael waiting outside and with a grin I let him wait inside instead. He greeted me happily and we talked in the kitchen while we waited for Daniel to come downstairs. 
"So about that phone number," Michael said. "Do you think I still can get it? Or did Daniel tell you things he shouldn't have and now I've lost my chances?" 
I laughed. It sounded so childish. Without saying anything I put my hand towards him, signing him to hand me his phone. Is saw him smile as he got his phone out of his pocket and typed in his password. He gave me his phone and I put my phone number in it.
"Saf, get away from that phone," I heard Daniel say in a very serious tone. Like it was some sort of bomb. I looked up from the phone and back to Daniel who was aiming his Nerf gun towards me. I rolled my eyes with a laugh and gave the phone back to Michael. "You shouldn't have done that," he said again in the same serious tone. 
"Or what?" I asked him with a smirk as I walked back to the kitchen island. You see, there was one thing Daniel didn't know. This morning I was the first one up, to prepare breakfast for the birthday girl. But I also put my secret Nerf gun that I bought when we went shopping for Vicky's birthday presents in one of the drawers. 
"Or I shoot you," Daniel responded back. I raised my eyebrows up to him.
"Is that so?" I asked him as I slowly took out the Nerf gun from the drawer. In one movement I pointed the Nerf gun towards Daniel and loaded it. "Because I can play your games too," 
"Oh my god," Michael laughed. 
"You don't want to do that Saf. There's a baby in the room," Daniel said, gesturing with his head towards Hazel who was sitting in her chair, drinking from her bottle. 
"Hazel is fine with it. She is on my team," I told him. Daniel went quiet, but suddenly he started to fire on me. I ran away from the Nerf arrows while I shoot back at Daniel. It was until we both were out of bullets that we stopped firing to each other. Daniel went for a run with Michael while I cleaned up the bullets. I put the two guns on the kitchen island and hoped I would remind myself to put them away before either Vicky or Flynn got back. 

---

I was sitting in the grass against the three with my laptop while Daniel was playing around with Hazel in front of me. I was currently writing something for another magazine, but somehow my concentration just wasn't there. I got even more distracted when my phone made a beeping noise, telling me I had a new message. I picked it up from the grass where I put it next to me and looked surprised at the message. It was from Michael. 

From Michael:
Hey,
I was wondering now that Daniel can't keep sabotaging me from getting your number. Would you like to go out? Maybe tomorrow evening or something? 
Let me know x

"What are you frowning at?" Daniel commented at me. I looked up at him confused until I realized I was frowning. 
"Oh, nothing," I mumbled. Daniel gave me a funny look.
"Oh nothing, she said while looking at me with a very confused look," Daniel said, probably his attempt of making fun of me. I rolled my eyes at him and closed my laptop. 
"It's your trainer who's texting me," I told him before standing up. 
"What?" he asked confused while I kept walking. I heard him stand up too and when I looked behind me shortly I saw him picking Hazel up and running up to me. When he got to me I was already in the kitchen where James just walked in with Vicky and some food. "What is he texting you?" 
"Why do you care?" I asked him with raised eyebrows and a smirk. 
"Hey you two," James interrupted us. We both looked up at him. "Can you make the table while I pick Flynn up from the neighbors?" We nodded at James and waited until we heard the front door close. Flynn was playing with the neighbour's kid who was around the same age as him. 
"I care because he's my trainer and I pay him to train me and not sleep around with my friends." Daniel explained, getting back to the topic. I shook my head and got out the plates and passed them on to Daniel. 
"Oh, I didn't realise you saw me as a friend," I said as a joke. It made Daniel stop what he was doing and turn his body towards me. "I broke in with you at your ex's house. I should be called your best friend by now." 
"We didn't break in, I had keys." I defended my action, which wasn't my idea in the first place. "But whatever. If you really want to know, Michael just asked me to go out tomorrow,"
"Like a date?" I shrugged. 
"I guess," I mumbled as I put Vicky on her chair that we decorated this morning for her birthday. 
"Please don't go on a date with him," Daniel told me in a serious tone. I let out a laugh as I thought he was joking, but as I looked up at him he didn't seem like he was joking. 
"Daniel," I sighed as I didn't want to start this conversation again. What bad thing could happen from a simple date?
"No, I mean it Saf. Please don't go. You can't go out with my trainer." he said again. It started to annoy me as I finished making the dinner table ready. 
"Isn't he your friend? Don't you want your friend to go out with someone you know is trustworthy?" I responded. 
"He is. But I still don't want you to go out with him."
"Daniel," I sighed again as he shook childishly his head.

"No. No, no, no. NO!" Daniel just said just when James walked back into the kitchen but this time with Flynn.
"What no?" James asked confused while he and Flynn sat down at the table. He opened the take out he brought with him with Vicky, while Daniel and I were still standing and looking at each other. 
"She can't go out with my trainer. Because what if it doesn't work out and then it's all strange when he comes and pick me up to go train. I'm not having it. He's a close friend of mine. I need him as my trainer and I'm not sharing him with her." Daniel said and with that he sat down at the table. I looked over at James with my arms over each other. He looked back at me with an amused smile on his face. 
"Well, you sound like a child," I told Daniel and sat down next to him. "You might pay him, but that doesn't mean you can say what he can and can't do in his personal life."
"Can we maybe have a peaceful dinner with my birthday girl?" James interrupted as he helped the kids with filling their plates with the Chinese food he brought. 
"Saf, I'm begging you. You can date whoever you want. Just please, not the one I pay to hang out with me." 
"If it's bothering you that much... Fine." I said finally as I wanted this topic to be done with. I guess I could see where he's coming from but as if rejecting his trainer wouldn't be any less awkward... "But you're the one to tell him and don't you dare to tell him a whole different story,"