TWO

"You have to get up, dear." I whined loudly at my mother's words, I didn't want to get up. I was very much comfy in my bed with my knit blanket.

"Just a few more minutes." I heard my mom sigh before my blanket was not so thoughtfully pulled off of me making me let out a startled yelp.

"Stop being such a lazy girl and get up before I make you," My mother's warning rang through my ears and begrudgingly I poked my head out of my pillow and stared at my mother with a pout, hoping that I'd somehow convince her but even I know that it was a terrible attempt.

"You can't convince me with that look, now get up!" My mother stated, her arms crossed over her chest, her eyes narrowed into slits.

"Fine, I'm getting up." I forced myself to move and almost accidentally landed on my face when I noticed the blanket tangled in my feet.

"Shit." I whispered under my breath and removed myself from the tangled mess, standing up straight on my feet as soon as I did so.

"Are you alright, dear?" My mother questioned, worry lacing her tone. I nodded my head and dragged my feet to the mirror.

"Oh wow, I look gorgeous. Think I could pass for a model?" I muttered sarcastically as I pointed towards my hair that had now turned into a bird's nest, literally. It looked like a bird got stuck in here, struggling to get away.

"Sure you could, dear." My mother replied to my sarcastic question with a cheery tone and I held the urge to smile. She was the best mother ever.

"You spoil me too much, mama." I whispered with a pout as I passed her, searching for my phone. She just shook her head, waving her head in a dismissive manner.

"If I wouldn't spoil the two of you, who else would?" She laughed but her laugh seemed very much forced, I knew the memory of my father had surfaced once again into her mind. I felt guilty for saying what I had.

“Mama, you know you don’t have to pretend as if everything is right.” I held her hand and brought it up to my lips, planting a kiss there. She just gave me a shaky smile before pulling me in for a hug which I gladly returned.

She was the strongest woman I had ever seen and I loved her wholeheartedly. I so badly wished I could take all the pain away from her. She didn’t deserve it. She deserved love, not heartbreak. The world was a cruel place.

“Now go get ready if you want to go see Isaiah and Ariyah,” I pulled back from the hug, confused. She never mentioned that we were going to go see them. Seeing my confused face, she laughed softly.

"I thought you would want to see them so I'm gonna take you with me since I have some work in the pack house." That made sense. Excitement ran through me as I smiled brightly. I hadn't seen them in so long, I missed them so much.

“I’m quickly going to get ready. Is Val coming too?” Maybe she would go meet with her soon to be fiancé. It still felt strange to say that my sister was going to be engaged. She wasn’t the one to be stuck with a single person. She must really like him if she’s willing to take such a huge step.

“No, she’ll just stay home. Since Arlen is currently at another pack to deal with some matters before the engagement, she wouldn’t have anything to do at the pack house.” I found it a bit strange that he left just before the engagement. Their engagement is tonight and the guy isn’t even here. I felt a twinge of pity for my sister.

Maybe they were just marrying for pack purposes. That seemed more like Val.

“But their engagement is tonight, mama.” I didn’t attempt to hide my distaste towards the guy. Sure, he was the beta and had a lot of responsibilities but could he not put them aside for a single day?