Chapter 5 - Pain

Thanks to everyone who supports this story! I have nothing better to do so I'm updating again! Comments and votes are much appreciated.

Sorry this chapter's going to be quite short but I have to set the scene for what's happening next! Enjoy:

He's gone now. Legolas tried to reassure himself that Thranduil had left for the day, but the prospect of his return tomorrow rather dimmed the hope that had arisen at his departure.

And today his father had been particularly brutal. Just thinking of the injuries brought back the physical pain in a wave.

Whimpering, the elfling crawled back into what he had come to think of as 'his' corner.

Hugging his broken left arm to him and trying not to move a dislocated left knee, he wondered if the blood was still flowing to his foot. If not, his lower leg would just die and it would have to be amputated. He gulped at the thought.

It was the first time Thranduil had ever treated him roughly enough to break bones. Usually he just used the whip if he wanted to deliver a lot of pain. But throwing him to the floor repeatedly had definitely inflicted enough pain to remind him of his place.

He was worthless. Useless. The voice had told him so, and he knew it was true. What was the voice, anyway? Probably Ilúvatar telling him truths he didn't want to hear as further punishment for what he did to Naneth.

Despite his father's hissed warnings, he couldn't control the quiet noises of distress which slipped from his lips. He knew he couldn't face the doubled punishment and live. Not in this state.

It was hopeless. He was doomed to live out the short remainder of his time on Arda here, in this cell, in pain and fear. As a murderer. The only light he could see in the whole dark situation was that the blood flow seemed to be continuing as normal to his leg, although even that was fragile and could change at any moment.

Just when he thought it couldn't get worse, the voice came back.

I told you it was hopeless, murderer. Give up.

And so he did.

I know this was short; sorry! I hope you enjoy this and I'm writing the next chapter as quickly as possible! Thank you! :)

Oh, don't forget to vote :P