VI

Anaya strode into the den

Answers, answers, answers.

The words pulsed in her mind like a dull headache while she dug around the cabinet by the pale gold vintage French sofa set. Finally, she found what she'd been looking for. The phone book her parents always kept there was dusty with disuse. She turned on the lamp and her fingers flew through the pages.

Aubrey. Audler. Augier.

There. Augustine.

Bernard. Danielle. Hailey.

Anaya backed up. She scoured the page again, up and down.

No Gregory Augustine.

How the hell am I supposed to know how this works if I can't find him? How do I get my memory back? I can't just faint every time I have these... manifestations.

She grasped at another idea. It was a long shot, but she searched the pages again for the only other place she could think of.

Anaya dashed up the stairs and scrambled to the phone in her room. She punched in each number slowly and deliberately.

"St. Jude's Retirement Home. Grace speaking. How can I help?" The female voice was friendly and professional.

Anaya mind weighed the possibilities. It was eighteen years before she last saw him. The chances of this working were minimal but this was her last hope.

"Hello." She paused and tried again. "Hi, Grace," she said, plunging ahead and hoping for the best. "I'm looking for a resident of yours. Gregory Augustine. May I speak with him please?"

There was a faint tapping noise. "One moment please while I check for you."

Anaya's heart leapt. Could it be? Was it possible?

"I'm afraid we don't have anyone by that name staying with us."

Anaya shut her eyes and sank to the floor, cradling the receiver.

"Are you sure? He definitely had... plans to move in."

"I'm quite sure, Miss. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

The woman's cordial tone was eroding, turning into barely-concealed impatience.

"No. No thank you." Anaya let the phone drop back into the carriage.

She sat there in silence.

Now what?

She couldn't stop now. She'd have to figure out what was happening to her. With or without Gregory.

Anaya grabbed an empty, spiral notebook and sat down at her desk. She needed some kind of baseline to compare against her new experiences. She'd always been methodical, so she decided to put one of her best adult skills to use. Making lists.