Chapter 5 - Sorry I'm Not Sorry

We drove over to Andy's house after dropping off Grandma so that he could collect some more clothes and other essentials. Likely, this was just for the weekend, as I was soon to start another week of nights at the hospital, but he was out of clean underwear and needed something to wear for our plans that evening.

"Remind me again where we're going tonight?" I asked, as I pulled into a parking spot in front of his building.

"Remember that house on the hills that I was house sitting, and we watched the sunset? The guy who owns that house is named James, I think I told you that I'm designing a house for him in Park City? Well, he's back in town and he's hosting a party, and he invited us." We walked together up the manicured pathway to the gated doors of his apartment complex, and he used his key card to gain entry, reaching over to open the door for me as we walked in.

"For us, you mean he invited you and you're bringing me along?"

"Uh, well... no, he... uh, he knows about you," he said, furtively, as he ducked into a side alcove to collect his mail.

"And what, pray tell, does he know about me?" I asked, wondering if I had to be worried about a new stalker or something.

"It's fine, I just told him that I was going to bring you up to the house that day, and then he asked if you and I were still a thing, and I replied in the affirmative and so when he told me about the party, he specifically invited you along."

I pondered this for a moment. It seemed like another relationship milestone, albeit a very silly one, that Andy was talking about me to casual acquaintances.

"Do you know who will be at the party, like, what kind of party is it?"

"Well, he is an interesting dude. I think I told you before, he's involved in making whisky, which I'm sure is part of the reason we get along well. I'm not sure where he made his money, but as I'm sure you gathered from when we were up at his house, he's got a lot of it. I've really only hung out with him socially a few times, but I imagine that there will be a wide variety of people there – business associates, artists, people in the restaurant or liquor industry. I think he also does a fair amount of climbing, so inevitably there will be some outdoorsy types as well."

"This is going to sound silly, but what are you wearing?" I asked as we walked from the mail room to the elevator.

"Uh, well, I have a nice black suit and maybe a dark purple button-down shirt. It's getting cold at night, so you should definitely wear something warm."

The elevator chimed and the door opened, and he reached out to allow me to pass first. I pushed the number for his floor and looked over at him as he sorted through his mail.

"So, that could actually be a bit of a problem," I said, scrunching up my nose to indicate that we might have a bit of a pickle on our hands.

"What do you mean?" he looked over at me, and then the elevator stopped at his floor and we alighted. "You don't have a warm dress that you can wear?"

"Well I have dresses, only one of which has long sleeves, but I have a feeling that you wouldn't want me to wear it."

He laughed, "And why not? Is it see through or something?" Ha laughed again, like someone who has made an obviously ironic comment.

I didn't say anything.

It took him another 15 seconds to realize I hadn't responded. "Wait, what, it *is* see through?" He stopped walking when we arrived at his door but didn't put the key in the lock.

"Look Andy, what can I say. There are dresses that you wear when you're single and looking to mingle and then there are dresses that you wear when your new boyfriend is taking you to his super-rich-friend's party where there will be whisky and intellectuals and climbers. I don't think that I own that dress. But by all means, if you want me to look like I'm, you know, arm candy, that can be accomplished."