Chapter 18: Digging Your Own

The sun had risen long ago. Beating on the old neighborhood like peeling wood. Kirsa and I ran down the hot concrete slow and human like. Avoiding most stares as no one here seemed to notice us. Playing hooky wasn't exactly a crime. At least not until Hunter found out. I didn't care at this moment. Bigger problems at hand and all. 

Plus he seems to be letting a bit slide. Sometimes that was a good thing, other times that meant a storm was coming. Honestly I was probably getting right in to the eye of it testing him with another mishap. That is if he found out. 

Kirsa mused, "He will and you know it."

I rolled my eyes. So that was public.

"And so was that." Kirsa laughed. 

Our footsteps continued to violently pat against the ground before we finally reached the Rabbi's place once more. She was standing at the gate. Waiting for us. Somehow knowing we were coming. 

A quick wave of her hand indicated we should all rush inside and so we did. Getting in before she. Her lazy steps strongly contradicting the rushed actions of her upper half. Once she reached us she slammed the door shut with a loud bang. Then re-positioned a large blade which I now noticed was hiding behind the door. I gave her an odd look but she ignored me. Beckoning us again, but now back to the area where all of the books were. 

Mik's words came out curt, "Today's a bad day, but you need something don't you?"

I nodded. Lightly pressing against the top of my shirt where the vial was hidden. Thinking. 

"I need something more useful than the stupid book you gave me." I answered. 

She sighed. 

"I gave you what you asked for. There isn't a lot of text on your kind that's helpful."  Then she brushes past me to go look through more books. Kirsa shoots me a slight glare. 

I nice up my tone. 

"Do you have any magic books? Like something I can use with my 'kind' that maybe does something?" My shoulders raise and drop as I say this. Rabbi Mik sighs once more and says some words under her breath in a language I don't understand. 

Kirsa speaks too, "Like maybe something to hide things." As she says this she stares right at my chest where my hand sits. I turn slightly to conceal myself more but let Mik brew over Kirsa's request. Secretly hoping the Rabbi will find something to Kirsa's request instead of my too broad one. 

The Rabbi turns to a corner, practically running as she straight up climbs the shelves to grab a book. Neither of us stop her. Assuming she's done this before. At least it would be nice if she did. Don't want to die by bookcase. 

While still hanging off the shelves the Rabbi questions, "This for that monster you two killed yesterday? I'll give you the book it stole." 

She threw the book. I jumped up and caught it. Her aim was atrocious. Had it landed in the direction she threw it would have landed and knocked off at least thirty other books on another set of shelves. 

The Rabbi jumps down. Kirsa moves to where I was and reads the name of the cover out loud. 

"'Concealing things as something else.' Hah, welcome to the story of my life."

I spit out, "Our lives."

"Yeah." Kirsa winks.

The Rabbi walks back toward us. Pointing at the book. 

"That Ly-monster must have used this to change like that. As no creature like that yet exists. " 

I roll my eyes another time and whisper "Yet?" back as a sarcastic rhetorical question. This really did get crazier than I ever thought it could be. Adding to the crazy, the rabbi goes to one of the couches and pulls out another blade, this time a much more rounded one. Ignoring my rude comment she continues her tasks. 

Only for a second clarifying, "Which is why I'm increasing my security a bit around here."

Kirsa gives her a small polite smile then elbows me to do the same. I just look at Kirsa and shake my head no. Not really in the mood, but also trying to hide I feel kind of bad bothering the Rabbi when she was obviously busy. But I've been having to deal with this non-human thing for so long it was kind of nice having a place I could go for it. It would have been easier if I didn't have this little shifting issue and was normal I know but, this was it for me. 

I groan aloud, "I really wish I was human instead. This stupid life would be so much easier." 

That got a full chortle out Mik. Shoving the blade back under her couch, then throwing some serrated knives into the ceiling. A tick sound with each throw. Her eyes have an exceptional dullness to them now. 

Tick.

"Careful what you wish for," tick, "as a human I promise you," tick, "it doesn't suck any less."

Tick. Tick.

Jesus how many knives does she have? I almost didn't take in her comment she threw so many. 

Tick. She's thrown another. 

I walk over, Kirsa trying to grab me and hold me back. Though now that I know she's also not human I won't hold back. I can tell she detects this as she only lightly grabs at my sleeve before letting me go. 

I get to the Rabbi and stick out my hand. 

"Give me the knives please Mik."

She hands them to me from under her tunic. At least twenty. I throw them all at once. All of them hit the ceiling perfectly except two. Those two Kirsa catches and throws up into the ceiling to help.

The Rabbi shoots me smile. 

"There's the girl I'm looking for."

I return the smile. 

"Whatever, but thanks really."

Kirsa pipes up, "Hey let's see if we can help you some more so you can rush a little less... and make us some tea." The Rabbi gives a small nod. Together we hide or check already hidden weapons throughout the house. Taking most of the day. 

After, Kirsa and I head out parting at the gate. Both in a rush to get home, but neither late. 

See Hunter won't find out. Heh. I smirk again. Hoping Kirsa heard that thought. 

A little less tense now.