Part 1 ✧ 1st Chapter

PART 1
GLITTER SKIN
RUE

1st Chapter
In which love at first sight takes place at a public toilet.

"Rue!"

I'm levitating. It feels a little like laying on the surface of water without moving but not sinking, like my body itself is inflatable and floating on the waves.

"For fucks sake, Rue!"

The voice that is calling to me seems far away, almost out of reach but it is getting louder and louder by the second, confusing me, lifting me up and making me squirm. I try to ignore it.

"Yo, for real, Rue. Wake up."

The person who is talking to me is close now and even though I try to fight it, I loose all contact with the water. Instead I can feel the soft fabric of a cushion beneath my ear and I realize that I'm stretched out on someone's sofa.

"Sometimes you're a real pain in the ass, you know that?"

Suddenly I recognize the voice that's keeping me from the waves and I know he won't stop annoying me. Against my will, I open my eyes. First one and then slowly the other.

My vision is blurry for a moment but once I manage to focus it, I stare directly into Fez's face which is floating a few feet above mine. I raise my eyebrows at him, not yet able to form my own words.

He sighs. "Yo, for real, you gotta stop sleeping here. I can't be having you over high as a kite all the time."

I try and eventually succeed at pushing myself up into a sitting position and rub my face with both hands. I don't want to have this conversation right now but Fez shows no mercy.

"Listen, man, I love you but since the OD all you do is hang around my crib and I don't really know how to feel about that." He shrugs, looking a little lost for words. "I don't want to find you passed out on my couch and it ain't good for business, either. You gotta go home once in a while, Rue. I ain't playing."

My fucking OD.
I feel like that's all anyone ever talks about.

Almost choking to death on my own vomit isn't something I wanna re-experience, I can say that with absolute certainty and I get that people were scared. But I didn't die. I'm very much alive and I'm okay. So far. So like, tone it down.

"Yeah, you're right, Fez." I stand up, not in a mood for a discussion. My high is wearing off, anyway. "I'll be one my way."

He watches as I stretch myself and follows me, slowly, chewing the inside of his cheek as I walk to the door, slipping on my shoes.

"See you around next week, Rue." He says as I step out of his flat, leaning against the doorframe, looking at me from under his lashes. Typically.

"Aren't you forgetting something, Fez?" I ask, tilting my head to the side, questioningly and for a second he looks annoyed.

But then he just sighs, again and reaches into the pocket of his shorts before we shake hands. I tighten my fingers around the plastic bag that Fez presses against my palm and then we separate.