1. La Familia!

~ Familes are like branches of a tree. We grow in different directions but the roots remain the same ~

The place was buzzing with chatters and bliss, Nandini noticed as soon as she stepped on the entrance, and forwarded her invitation card to the gatekeeper who cross checked and smiled politely at her. Shoving it back in her handbag, Nandini entered, a tad bit late for her very best friend's liking, but finally making it. Smoothening the edges of her sparkling pink dress that had purple sparkles, she tucked a loose curl behind while her eyes swam through the sea of guests, desperately searching for a familiar face.

Ironical much, that the legal adviser out in the fields who knew how to shut people up would be so uncomfortable in a party, that too the party of her own best friend's engagement?

Nandini scoffed at the thought, when she finally spotted a known face, not the one she wanted to, but at that moment anything would do. She walked upto the handsome man, clad in a black classy sherwani, and stood behind him, clearing her throat.

"Miss Nandini?", Manik turned at her voice, and was amused to see her uncomfortable face

"Miss Nandini?", Manik turned at her voice, and was amused to see her uncomfortable face. He excused himself from the family he was talking to, and focused on Nandini who looked like she would be anywhere but here.

She hated crowds, especially full of people she didn't know.

"Hi!", Nandini smiled, a small smile as she tried to get past this weird feeling she always got around him, "I can't find Raima. Or Mihir Jeeju. Or anyone", she spilled the beans, blinking like a doll and making an extremely cute, confused face, all done subconsciously.

Manik couldn't help but chuckle and Nandini could not help but noticed how the corner of his eyes cringed when he laughed. The shine in his eyes was unmistakable, like he wore his heart on his sleeves, and it only confused her more. Manik Malhotra was a mystery she was trying to solve since last six months but had only failed uptil.

"Raima's dupatta came loose or something, so Maa took her upstairs and Mihir followed like the love sick man he is", Manik shrugged, smiling, and held Nandini's wrist to drag her upstairs, all this while unaware of the electricity that ran through her, giving her goosebumps.