021

two months later

It was now June. The party got out of school on June 2nd after taking finals for three days.

(Y/n) was still asleep.

After the last day, Mike and the gang rode home as usual, dropping each other off.

Once he got home, he tossed his backpack onto the ground and walked downstairs, just wanting to read some comics and listen to music.

He reached the end of the stairs and looked at the small fort he had built for (Y/n).

"I miss you," he mumbled to himself. The hospital stopped letting people visit her about a week prior. Doctors said it wasn't helping her, which didn't make sense to Mike. But he decided not to argue. After all, he just wanted her to wake up.

Mike didn't know if she was still alive or not. He didn't let himself think that way.

"God. I can't believe I let this happen. I should've been there helping you close the gate! I don't know what I would've done, but I... I didn't want this to happen. I wasn't there for you, I didn't protect you," Mike said to himself.

He fell to his knees in front of the fort and started crying. Mike tried not to let himself cry over this; he knew she wouldn't want him to.

"Jesus, I should've been there for you before you even got taken. If I wasn't such a stubborn asshole I would've already been hanging out with you that day. God, I'm so stupid!" He exclaimed.

Nancy and his parents were at work, and Holly was at a friend's house. Mike used his alone time to vent about his feelings. He was ashamed of them.

"I miss you so much. I just want to hold you and watch movies with you and..." he trailed off.

Mike had a mental list of things he wanted to do with (Y/n) before he went back to school, assuming she wouldn't be attending school with him.

"I love you so much. You can't hear me and I don't know if you ever will but I love you. I have ever since we met. I lost you once and I'm so scared I'm going to lose you again," he choked out, tears streaming down his face.

He held his head in his hands and cried. The poor boy was in so much pain. All he wanted was to be with her again.

"And you're not even h-" Mike ripped the flap off of the fort to see (Y/n) calmly sitting there. There were tears in her eyes and she looked extremely weak, but she was there.

Without hesitation, Mike dove into the fort and kissed her. His hands were gripping her hips and her arms were around his neck, hands in his hair. They pulled away and leaned their foreheads against each other.

"Do you mean that?" she said quietly.

"Of course, every word," he said.

She pulled back and examined his face. His eye bags were visible, and he had tear tracks on his face. She used her thumbs to wipe them away, earning a smile from Mike.

He was also examining her face.

She was still paler than ever and her eyes looked slightly sunken in and dark, but she was still beautiful.

"When did you get here?" Mike asked.

"I got discharged today while you were at school. Joyce picked me up and drove me here, but no one was home. So I just stayed down here," she explained.

"I'm so happy to see you," Mike said. (Y/n) pulled him into a hug, ruffling his hair.

"I'm happy to see you too. Do you want to call the party over?" (Y/n) asked.

"Later. I want to spend time with you," Mike said sweetly.

"How long do we have before your parents and Nancy get home?" (Y/n) asked. Mike looked down at his watch.

"About two hours," Mike said.

"They still don't know about me, do they?" (Y/n) asked sadly.

"No," Mike replied.

"That's okay. We can tell them whenever you want," she said with a smile.

"Okay, sounds good. I'll call the gang over when everyone gets home. You know, so we have alone time," Mike said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Keep it in your pants, Wheeler," (Y/n) said, crawling around him and out of the fort.

She sat on the couch and looked at a cassette tape in front of her. It was Make It Big by Wham!, and she wanted to listen to it.

"Do you want me to put that in?" Mike asked, pointing to the cassette tape.

"No, I can do it," (Y/n) said. She focused on the cassette and it slightly hovered above the table. Her eyes narrowed in pain; using her powers was troublesome now.

She raised up her hand, so she had more control, and moved the cassette towards the boom box.

"You got this," Mike said awkwardly.

Suddenly, the cassette dropped to the ground and (Y/n) was holding her head in pain.

"I can't do it," she said, frustrated.

"Hey, hey. It's okay, don't beat yourself up over this. You used them a lot when you closed the gate. You also didn't use them for two months. It'll take time," Mike said, sitting next to her and wrapping his arm around her.

"Time," she repeated. Mike smiled and stood up, placing the cassette in the boom box. Music started to play, which cheered (Y/n) up.

They spent the next two hours dancing along to music and gossiping.

Well, the 'gossiping' was just Mike telling (Y/n) things about the party.

"Ooh, Dustin and Lucas liked Max at the same time for, like, a month," Mike said.

"Yikes. Who'd she choose?" (Y/n) asked.

"Lucas," Mike said.

"Poor Dustin," she replied with a slight laugh.

"Don't worry. He's going to summer camp soon and claims he's gonna find 'the one' while he's there," Mike said.

"I missed this," (Y/n) said with a smile.

"Yeah. Me too."